Install From HDD No FTP?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tippytip

Install From HDD No FTP?

Post by tippytip »

Well her is my problem. Currently my NIC on my xbox is toast and I have the crappy thomson drive which doesn't like to read any kind of media I have available very well. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to maybe somehow stlightly modify a file or so within stardust.iso so that I can just copy all the files to the xbox e:\ and run the install from there so that I may install gentoox on the F drive? If there is anyway to do this please let me know I'm dying to get gentoox on the xbox and have hit a road block.
Thanks in advance
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

If you have a molex Y splitter and a PC DVD-ROM drive, then you can put that in your Xbox (if your bios doesn't already support the "No DVD-drive check" or can't be patched to support it, then you'll have to hotswap the IDE cable from your thomson DVD drive to your PC DVD-ROM.

Just wondering, if you can't ftp the files over and your thomson drive won't read any type of media you have available, how do you plan on getting Gentoox onto your Xbox? If you can get your thomson to read DVD+R or DVD-R, you can extract the files from the DISTRO.RAR (as if you were doing an ftp installation), burn the files to DVD+/-R, and then copy them to your E drive. That should work.

Edit: Also, if you want Gentoox on your F drive, you don't need to worry about the installer (unless maybe you want to do a native install), you can simply use restoox to move your gentoox installation files to the F drive.
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

Well I'm currently deployed in Iraq and I don't have my desktop or I would have just connected the hard drive via IDE and uploaded what I needed. All I have is my laptop. No dvd bubrner or that issue would be solved also. My thomson drive will copy stuff of of certain cd/rw but it will not read from them for any sort of install. I don't want to do the pot tweak and kill my drive as I don't have any other one available.

Put it this way. I downloaded home 3.2 I have burned it three different ways.
1- as the tutorial says using nero at 1x disc at once and track
2- have extracted all files and burned in UDF mode w/ dvd compatibility on and off
3- created an xiso with all files in it as well.

in all three instances the loader will boot up but does not recognize the disc as stardust.iso.
Error Booting stardust it says.
I can copy all of the files of of the CD/rw np. It just won't continually read the disc for installation purposes. Just curious if there was another way to do it considering my limitations here.