Successful magic upgrade to kernel 2.6

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Oh almost let magic run, good job I didn't. Good luck on new version.
hobbes
Linux User

Post by hobbes »

question: does the boot xbe that came with home 3.0 have the capabilities to boot the 2.6 kernel? i cannot run any xbe's becasue of my bad mobo, but it will run the first xbe it finds (dash or disk)

btw, the kernel upgrade went good, now to see if it boots

EDIT: boots with latest loader, but craploads of errors, no USB, no eth0 (means no SSH) and x wont boot. im stuck at an xbox login screen with no way to communicate. the magic update rebooted it last night after patching the kernel, it only took like 3-4 hours. seems way to short.
Morlok8k

f-drive?

Post by Morlok8k »

i run gentoox on the f-drive...

do i need to format the f-drive after upgrading or still just the e-drive?

cause i have alot of stuff on my f-drive.

my other xbox has gentoox installed as native. how would i be able to reformat it and stuff?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You may well need to, yes.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

I am just curious.. I run Gentoox with a native partition? really there no steps that i need to propertly resolve? as about the only thing gentoox has wrote onto there is the .cfg file.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You _should_ be okay to just upgrade then. However, I would still recommend running "ls -lah /mnt/fatx/e" after you have upgraded - if it shows the "not found" errors, then you should backup and format.
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

Ok giving it a shot now.. Btw i am just curious would it be possibly to make my system like pro2.0 without having to reformat? ;o) i read the page of how to convert my system to the new style as you are going with pro2.0.. but thats for another thread.. will post with my results..
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

well just went through the upgrade.. went without a hitch..
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

echo "pro2.0" > /etc/gentoox_version
alphaflux

Successful upgrade with minor issues

Post by alphaflux »

Successfully upgraded to kernel 2.6.11.4-xbox-gentoox and very pleased to report that magic ran without issue.

As reported; there does indeed seem to be some sort of issue with the FatX driver, as I did see the "not found" errors. However a quick backup, format and restor of E: soon sorted that out! System boots without issue and has no notable errors during startup. Very happy. :D

The only issue I have found so far is that FireFox no longer seems to work after the upgrade. :( Seems a strange issue and going to try and work out why tonight. Anyone else confirm this ? Maybe its just me. :twisted:

Thanks Shallax; you truely are a God!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh - this is an issue with portage which i had to "fix". Mozilla-Firefox versions 1.0-r2 and below arent compatible with a dependency that Xorg has, so the xserver.b0x file needs to unmerge it. After updating, youll have to `emerge sync && emerge mozilla-firefox` and everything should be fine! Its good to know someones paying attention ;)
revenant

Post by revenant »

Hi, I have installed Gentoox Home Edition on my xbox. However, running magic takes few hours and it encounter make error after that.

Actually, what I'm interested in getting is just the kernel-source or kernel-header for the running Gentoox kernel so that I could build my wlan driver for Netgear.

Is there any other way in doing so?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

There will be a nice little treat in Home v4.0 to thank everyone for being patient enough ;p
shadycady
Linux User

w00t w00t

Post by shadycady »

ShALLaX wrote:There will be a nice little treat in Home v4.0 to thank everyone for being patient enough ;p
:) :) :) :) :)
I think I speak for everyone when I say how nice it is to have someone to update and maintain GentooX. We are all so greatful to have a caring individual that has the brains and the patients to do what great things you have done with the xbox and linux. We humbly await your new release.

can't wait to see the new edition !!!!!
Xenium Ice (OS 2.3.0); 320Gb WesternDigital HD; Evox M8+ bios; Linux dual-boot GentooX; Lastest CVS build XBMC with built-in XLink Kai: Evolution VII (Global Network Gaming); XBOX to USB adapter . . .
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thank you for your kind words!