resctoox - f-drive question

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
bakasaru

resctoox - f-drive question

Post by bakasaru »

If I want to move gentoox to my f-drive, am I correct that I can only use resctoox? And if so, can I only run resctoox from my dvd drive? Is there a way to do it via my hd alone?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You _can_ do it from your HDD. What you need to do is download resctoox, then copy the "initrd.gz" and "vmlinuz" files (from inside Resctoox.iso) to your pc... rename them to "res.gz" and "res" respectively. Put them in E:\ on the Xbox.... then, edit E:\linuxboot.cfg on your xbox and add:

Code: Select all

title Resctoox
kernel res
initrd res.gz
append load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=26215 rw root=/dev/ram kbd-reset quiet
to the bottom of the file.

When you next boot Gentoox Loader, click the "FatX" icon and you should see a new entry (Resctoox)... select it... and thats it.

Hope this helps.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
bakasaru

Thanks

Post by bakasaru »

Thanks for the quick response. Will try it later. I'll reply back if I have problems, otherwise it will have worked well.
bakasaru

didin't work

Post by bakasaru »

I got resctoox to load up and I did "sh /bin/f-drive". The script ran through and after an hour or so, it turned off. When I loaded gentoox back up, it stalled. I'm not too familiar with linux, but I think it was trying to load initrd from the DVD drive. I don't have the DVD and I ran resctoox from the hd.
BMXpunk13

Post by BMXpunk13 »

I just had the same problem, I am running sparkle at the moment to see if that fixes it, I will update this whith the results soon.

*update*
that didnt work. unfortunately I have a 1.6 box and I cant read the last line that it stops on but the last line that I can see says something like "cannot load dev /console ( file not found or missing)" or something like that, I dont remeber exactly. I am a linux newb so I have no Idea what to do, any help would be appreciated.
1.6 box
X3
ava/XBMC
Gentoox home 3.2
WD 120g hdd
custom paint
ghostcorps
Linux User

Post by ghostcorps »

Yay for the exact thing I was looking for 8) thanks

I added the lines, although even with the original cfg I dont get the options.. i get the screen with 'stardust' 'fatx' 'advanced' but it shows for only a few seconds then goes imediatly into booting gentoox... I would assume this was related to my controller issue, but I used to be able to select between these options.

any hints?

I'm not normally this useless.. i promise!! :oops:
fixedsys
Novice

Post by fixedsys »

Thank you ShallaX !
I have resctoox now running from HD and its moving my install to F: right at this moment. Too cool. I asked the question of how do I move resctoox to HD then found this thread.

Thanks for your help ! :)

FixedSys
fixedsys
Novice

Bad News

Post by fixedsys »

Ok I used Resctoox from HD and it worked.
It did give an error of "Unable to init PCI device" (not exact wording but somthing like that.) It did continue to load and I was at the Resctoox prompt with the commands above that showed what to type to move install to E: or F:

I used the one to move it to F: and it stated it would start in 30 seconds.
I let it go and then it moved to say it would take 60minutes to complete.
It only took around 30 minutes I am guessing. I walked away from it 15 minutes into it and returned to it a full 30 minutes from its start and it stated it was All done and sitting at the Resctoox prompt.
I typed in the command "reboot" and let my xbox reboot.

I now saw that the two big files were now on F: and the rest on E:
I launched Geentoox and thats where the trouble began.
It was goning through its INIT sequence with the Penguin in the upper left and there was an error at the very bottom.

I dont remem the EXACT working but it stated something like: "NO such file or directory" and somthing about the Kernal and Haulted. The LED around the eject button was flashing green on and off.

I let it sit here for 5 minutes - nothing was happening.
I power cycled the xbox and loaded up Sparkle - It found rootfs on F:\ and began to do its work. I did not see the "process complete" message but the xbox powered itself OFF. I powered it back on and tried to launch gentoox again and got the same error as before.

Now before I added Resc as a boot choice and attempted to move main rootfs to F: , I did FTP every file from the root of E:\ to my pc as a precaution since it took around 7 hours for "magic" to do its SYNC. And I did verify all was working after magic had completed.

During this whole process I did not skip any steps a long the way and never powered off the xbox when I had the oppertunity to use the shutdown or reboot command.

Any Ideas?
I am assuming somthing is still looking for the root on E: ?????
fixedsys
Novice

Post by fixedsys »

<Hadaken> in IRC gave me the idea that running resctoox from HD may cause the issue. I am gonna get it burned on a good dvd or cdrw and try it. If those do not work Iwill connect a differnt PC DVD-ROM drive and try it.

Will post the results.
fixedsys
Novice

Post by fixedsys »

Well damn - I got resctoox to boot from dvd.
(well I actually booted gentoox then selected stardust and it read from my DVD I burned and then it launched resctoox.)

I ran sh /bin/f-drive and it took 34 minutes to complete.
At the Resctoox prompt i issue the "reboot" command.

I have a short cut to the gentoox.xbe in avalauch and loaded it.

I seleted fatx then gentoox - and it hangs during boot up
I am loading fresh install via ftp to e-drive now - not even gonna run gentoox once just going to run sh /bin/f-drive from resctoox and see it that will make it work.

At this point I will welcome the 7 hour magic update if it will work.
fixedsys
Novice

Well guess what!!!

Post by fixedsys »

Not working - at all
I have resc on a dvd and am able to lauch default.xbe from it and get into the Resctoox.

I issue the "sh /bin/f-drive" command and it goes.
It taked 34 minutes to go to "All Done" once the screen states "This will take about 60 minutes."

I have done this with a fresh ftp install to E:\ and and install where I let magic do its thing for 7 full hours to complet. Both end up with the errors.

The last two lines of the boot squence where it crashes are:

/linuxrc: cannot open dev/console: no such file or directory
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

There are several entries above it that state "no such file or directory"

I want to make it clear I ftped my install to E:\ as per instructions and it works from E: but I dont have the space on E: to let it opperate in the manner in which I need it to. I am still searching the forums and not finding anthing besided "your files have to be in the root of E:\ - well they already are.

I am logging in locally via CTRL-C and running the "sh /bin/f-drive" command at the resctoox prompt.
fixedsys
Novice

Post by fixedsys »

Wow: viewtopic.php?t=1121&highlight=fdrive
Ya, this guy got it to work Back in octomber of 2004.

Since then that idea and code could have been used to correct the resctoox cd to do what it was described to do. The command "sh /bin/f-drive" does nothing more than move the swap and rootfs files to the root of F:\ It does not modify the "initrd" file as it should so this would actually work. The funny thing is a tool was given out that was known not to work but still referenced time and time again.

Now with that said, if I were to use the full stardust.iso file to make my DVD or CD would the F: drive (not F: drive Native) install actually make a working F: drive load?

Can that question be answered honestly. And if so what is the answer?
fixedsys
Novice

F-Drive install did work!

Post by fixedsys »

Burned the stardust.iso for home edition 3.2 to dvd and was able to launch default.xbe from avalauch. The install worked and I have a functioning F: drive install (which is the root and swap on f: and the rest on e: ).

It did not disturb any software I had on F: or E:
IT did error out when it attempted to flash my bios. It wanted a 256k bank eventhoug I told it to work with a 1024k bank earlied in the install.
Install halted and rebooted the xbox but upon reboot I was able to lauch Genntoox (I then started magic and start full sync - and crashed)

I am assuming others figured this out but did not post their succes or others just gave up on this distro. I damn near did my self.

Glad I didnt.

:)
ghostcorps
Linux User

Post by ghostcorps »

Hi guys

I just need to confirm that after having installed gentoox via FTP that I should rename res.gz and res back to "initrd.gz" and "vmlinuz" to allow an installation of resctoox by FTP.

I know its just common sence.. but I've gotten this far I dont want to break it now ;)
fixedsys
Novice

Post by fixedsys »

No, Delete them from your E drive, download the new resctoox 1.6 and do the same renaming as you did before and upload the renamed files.