X2VGA working? debatable.

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
winterborne
Pro

X2VGA working? debatable.

Post by winterborne »

Here's a nifty post that will hopefully help out those kind souls that read the forums before complaining :) Though it can perhaps be seen as a bug report as well.

I've got an X2VGA. I don't know how old it is. I've got a V1.1 xbox.
With any version of Gentoox/Gentoox Loader, if my dash (MXM) is running in anything other than 480i (which, through some weird setup of exploits I set in the M$ Dash, though perhaps this can be defined elsewhere) the Gentoox Loader makes the fan rev up and screen go blank, and eventually the box shuts off.

Running in 480i, there is no problem booting the Gentoox Loader, which then sets its own resolution.

Now, inside Gentoox, I've got to use xbvset to output HDTV modes. I find this strange, considering I'm using an X2VGA. If I output in X2VGA modes, however, X will only display a black screen (the text shells are fine though). This is somewhat awkward because of the aspect ratio difference (I can't run in 4:3 like my monitor usually accomodates). It's not a terrible setback, though, and I still use Gentoox :) (it's actually my only linux box at the moment, due to an unfortunate series of hardware failures in the last few months... but that's another story).

Lets throw in a couple keywords for the searchers: 480p 720p 1080i ermmm vga composite 1024x768 crap, I can't remember the 16:9 version...

*NOTE* If your X display loads up blank because of xbvset settings, you don't need to resinstall -- just hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to a shell, log in, then run xbvset and fix your settings.
Last edited by winterborne on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Well if HDTV works for you, just use HDTV. I don't think you'd see a big difference if you selected X2vga and it worked (personally, I thought they'd be the same thing, X2vga just converts the HDTV signals to VGA).

Also, 720p (1280x720) and 1080i (1920x1080) are 16:9 formats.
480p @ 640x480 is 4:3, and @ 720x480, it's in widescreen mode (although I don't think it's 16:9).