Need Help to access "newfs" made during an earlier

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sharon
Novice

Need Help to access "newfs" made during an earlier

Post by sharon »

I have been playing around with my GentooX Home Installation, now a few months old. My "rootfs" and "swap" are in F Drive (FTP installed and did "magic f-drive").

I also made an entire backup of my previous installation so it is fully configured. I ran out of space and made "newfs" where I store my data files. Somehow I played wrong with my system and it got spoiled.

The only thing that is different from my backuped Gentoox is the presence of four new spaces (4Gb each) created with "newfs".

I have FTPed my backup gentoox compilation and now it boots up fine. The problem is I do not see the 4 newfs created after the creation of the backup (I can see....but they are not mounted).

How could I mount these 4 gentoox partitions in this system. The new file systems are "Backup1, Backup2, Torrents, and MyDocuments". I assume it has to do something with mounting in fstab, but I am not sure if it is or how to proceed.

I would really appreciate if someone came to my rescue.
Thank you.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

type mount at the prompt and you will see what filesystems are mounted
your newfs should all be mounted in /mnt
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

I tried "mount"......but it has not mounted those extra partitions I created.

Then I went to edit "fstab" and put a line like this:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system>         <mount point>   <type>          <options>                               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/loop/0             /               reiserfs        defaults,errors=remount-ro              0    1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                                0    0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         defaults,ro,user,noauto                 0    0
/mnt/fatx/f/swap        none            swap            sw                                      0    0

/dev/hda51              /mnt/fatx/c     fatx            defaults,noauto,umask=022               0       0
/dev/hda50              /mnt/fatx/e     fatx            defaults,umask=0000                     0       0
/dev/hda55              /mnt/fatx/f     fatx            defaults,umask=0000                     0       0
/dev/hda56              /mnt/fatx/g     fatx            defaults,umask=0000                     0       0
/mnt/fatx/f/CDBackup    /mnt/CDBackup   ext3            loop,defaults   

The last line is an extra line I put in. Still it did not work. Then I tried to change that line to:

/mnt/fatx/f/CDBackup      /mnt/fatx/f/CDBackup      ext3      loop,defaults       0    0

It did not work either

Then I tried the command:

mount /mnt/fatx/f/CDBackup

It gave me an error "no mount point exists"

I also tried:

mount /mnt/CDBackup

It said it did not exist in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Now what can I try?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

Here is a simplified acount of my problem:

1. How do I mount a partition in GentooX (FTP Install) created using "newfs" on an earlier GentooX Install (FTP Install).

2. The only difference is that the earlier GentooX install had created the new 4gb partitions (newfs), and the current GentooX is the same (backup), except the backup was created before running newfs.

I am totally lost. I see all these 4gb partitions in F drive, but cannot mount them or access them. Everything else works beautiful.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you are very nearly there.
I have a feeling that the loopbacks will be reiserfs rather than ext3.
Your line in fstab should be

/mnt/fatx/f/CDBackup      /mnt/CDBackup    reiserfs     loop,defaults   0 0
make sure the directory /mnt/CDBackup exists.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

lol....i deleted everything. I plan to install from backup again without all the partitions. I have also planned to save the files in FatX partition instead of creating extra partitions.

Thank you noobspangle for your help....I was little too impatient.