Home 3.2 Not booting for me!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Home 3.2 Not booting for me!

Post by cheesyboofs »

Just a note to say I couldn't get Home 3.2 to boot on my v1.3 xbox. I burnt the CD twice but it just froze after the 'Starting Stardust' bit right at the beginning, also read from the CD funny. Both Pro and Home 3.1 Work from the same CD.

Just a note to let ppl know! poss bug! gunna go the 3.1 -> magic route
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

First off check and see if the media is compatiable with your xbox. This web page will give u a good idea, http://www.xbox-linux.org/Xbox_Linux_Bo ... ning_HOWTO

Second burn it on a slower rate like 4x if it is compatible.

And lastly if your gentoox is running good now then there should be no reason to upgrade it from the cd all u need to do is upgrade it through magic and emerge to update what is updated on the cd.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

AK 47 wrote:First off check and see if the media is compatiable with your xbox. This web page will give u a good idea, http://www.xbox-linux.org/Xbox_Linux_Bo ... ning_HOWTO

Second burn it on a slower rate like 4x if it is compatible.

And lastly if your gentoox is running good now then there should be no reason to upgrade it from the cd all u need to do is upgrade it through magic and emerge to update what is updated on the cd.
Please dont try to teach me to suck eggs!

The CD runs fine with pro and 3.1 on it, so it is compatiable!
My pioneer DVD-RW will only write to the CD at 4X!
And this was the first EVER install of Gentoox HOME I've done after first trying pro and finding it was VERY cut down. It was a fresh install, so I had to drop BACK to 3.1 to get something on there! in order to run magic.

Sorry for the minor flame but I did put all this in the first post!
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

then ur download should be bad.. do it again.. thats the simple answer.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

The stardust.iso opens in winrar and iso buster, so it is good, I did download it twice from two different mirrors over my 2.5 Meg dual wan fat home pipe.
If it was as simple as re-downloading it, would I have even bothered posting, or even getting up this morning!!!!

ShALLaX, would it be possible to add bootable DVD support to the boot loader, as I have blank DVD's coming out of my ears, but the boot loader just spits them out!
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

Ok here is a few idea's because i am stumped.

First, I remember a long time ago, i tried running Xromwell, and it wouldn't load because an off brand controller screwed up the process, so try booting with only one device in and make sure its a M$ standard controller.

Second, if your willing to open up ur xbox, try getting a cd or dvd-rom drive and putting it into your xbox and connect the IDE cable from the xbox dvd drive.

Third, it might be the bios your running if your booting from the xbe file.

Lastly, try deleting you cache on the hard drive.

I know most of those probably won't work or maybe not even one, but I would give it a try, since those are really the only options left (that i can think of).
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

AT LAST SOMTHING CONSTRUTIVE! yes you right the next option I was/am going to try was a standard DVD rom drive, I have flashed the gentoox boot loader and am doing in on a freshly formatted 'blank' disk.
Second, if your willing to open up ur xbox
lol, in my opinion if I paid my hard earned cash for it, I'm gunna f'in open it.
jahme
Banned Losers

Post by jahme »

Well, if the cd installation or booting wont work then try ftp installation because i had the same problem and ftp installation solved my problem perfectly.personally i prefer ftp installation because it something screws up, you can always do it again and again.

HTH
ShAnnex
Linux User

Post by ShAnnex »

I had a similar problem.
Tried disconnecting all the controllers/keyboard but one std xbox one, which didn't help.

As I'd used the DVD I always use to transfer stuff onto my xbox I didn't think that could be the problem.
In the end I thought 'what the heck' and burned a new copy (same files as I had downloaded before) and low and behold; it worked.

So even if you're using a DVD/DVD-drive combo that has worked in the past and even if your download is 'healthy', you still may have to retry burning a DVD.

Anne.
shadycady
Linux User

hey hey hey

Post by shadycady »

how about you try to do the easy as hell ftp way

its under tutorials FTP installation