Permission to /usr/local/

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
RedSox
Linux User

Permission to /usr/local/

Post by RedSox »

Hi

I have just installed RabbIT2 proxy server and I need to get access to the config file to change the port number which I need for it to run under but could not update the file even when I login using ( su - ). Is there a way I can update this config file.

This is a permission issue for patch /usr/local/....is there any way around this.

Thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

what are the permissions on the file? (do ls -l in the directory)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
RedSox
Linux User

Post by RedSox »

Thanks Nobspangle,

Here's what it said with your command line.....

drwxr-xr-x for /usr/local/RabbIT/conf ....this is folder where the rabbit.conf file reside.

-wr-wr-wr- for /usr/local/RabbIT/conf/rabbit.conf file itself

The reason why I want to set up a proxy webserver is to surf the web with my pocket pc via bluetooth connection through my cellphone.

Thinking about using Squid proxy server but RabbIT has a better compression ability for the gprs connection through cellphone. I really want RabbIT to work .....it seems to work just fine with the default port but I NEED to customize to the few ports available through my cellphone service provider.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi,

if you do a su - , you should be able to update. what editor are you using to edit the file, nano, vi or something else...

do a "ls -l " and copy paste the results. cause from what you updated there is no user/owner of the file and the permissions dont show up the way u typed for the file.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
RedSox
Linux User

Post by RedSox »

Vplayer,

I am actually vnc to my xbox right now as we speak and try to edit the file. Cause I am such a noob....I am using Gentoox filemanager to move the rabbit.conf file from /usr/local/RabbIT/conf/ to /home/gentoox/Desktop/ and use Kedit to open update the file and save it. Then I use Gentoox filemanager to move the updated file back.....but this is where the problem is ...it would not let me move the updated file back...."Permission denied"

I know I know there must be another faster way of doing it but that's all I could think of.....

By the way....I did su -
RedSox
Linux User

Post by RedSox »

I think I might have to reinstall RabbIT again cause I have chmod it so many time I don't even know was the original property of the files anymore.
RedSox
Linux User

Post by RedSox »

Thanks Vplayer for the hint!!

Did so more search in the forum and here's what I did......(I know it's basic but if you're not a linux master...it's like hebrew to me)

Open up Konsole

su -

nano -w /usr/local/RabbIT/conf/rabbit.conf

.......do your thing......

^X ......(as in Control X)
Y .....(as in Yes to over write the old file)
Enter .....(to exit the editing screen)

Thanks nobspangle and vplayer.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

When you do su - it only applies to stuff that you are doing in that console window or programs started from there. Your desktop still works as the user you logged in with.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?