xbvset

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
scoobaman
Linux User

xbvset

Post by scoobaman »

how do i run xbvset my screen is off center
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Type xbvset into a terminal or terminal emulator as root.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
scoobaman
Linux User

Post by scoobaman »

it doesnt seem to work. nothing comes up when i type it in and push enter
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi,

more details reqd. how far can you get. where do u go to type the command. What are you logged in as. what does it say. Unix is great that it alteast tells that the command is not found...
scoobaman
Linux User

Post by scoobaman »

ok, so i log in as root, in the menu right on top of log out there is something that i click on(i cant really see it b/c the screen cuts it off). i think it is run command. o i puch enter, and nothing comes up. just the page that i type in xbvset (run command) dissapears. but no program pops up. and nothing comes up saying this command is not found. if i spell it wrond, something does come up saying tjis command is not found.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi,

can you ssh from your pc into the xbox. If you can do that, you can run xbvset from your pc and you should be able to see it .

If you can start the terminal from xbox gentoox, you can then type in xbvset and it should show you within the terminal.

HTH
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

As I said, you need to use a terminal emulator, not "run command". Log in as a normal user, start Konsole or whatever, then do the following:
  1. Type "su".
  2. Enter the root password.
  3. Type "xbvset".
  4. Follow instructions.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
scoobaman
Linux User

Post by scoobaman »

it works now but what do i do to resize my screen. i can only see some of the screen b/c it gets cut off.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi,

whats the resolution you got on. Do you have it on 800x600 and still gets cut off.

http://gentoox.shallax.com/video.html
veritas777

Post by veritas777 »

I am kinda stealing his thread, but whenever I run it, I get to choosing resolution (from composite, with Conexant), but when it comes to choosing a resolution, either 800*600 or 640*480, it gives me an error message. I have already run Magic, and am doing this with a keyboard. Can any one offer me assistance?

I cannot check anything right now, as I am transferring everything to the F Drive and the screen tells me not to touch anything.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

depends on what kindof error you get... and at what stage you get the error..
veritas777

Post by veritas777 »

Here is exactly what happens:
Start a konsole
Type su
then my root password
then xbvset
then composite
then at this step, regardless of what I pick, I get "Invalid Selection, Aborting"?
Any Ideas?
scoobaman
Linux User

Post by scoobaman »

i have a xbox 1.6 so its Xcalibur, and i still choose 800X600, and it cuts it off.
it Basically cuts off left hand side of the screen( a couple inches) and the top of the screen (i think only an inch or 2). so i can barely see the menu.
scoobaman
Linux User

Post by scoobaman »

anybody?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

I think you need to set a higher value for the hoc and voc settings during xbvset. .

and veritas ... for you
can you ssh into the xbox. if you can do this...
run "video" command and see what output you get. Do you get conexant or something else. and what kind of connection do you have from your xbox to yout tv.

lookinto this too ...
viewtopic.php?t=2428&highlight=xbvset

also both of you can try this.. .
see viewtopic.php?p=5081#5081

a search on xbvset gives a lot of results on gentoox forums. Hopefully one of those could help you.. happy hunting..