Disappearing Launch Bar

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sharon
Novice

Disappearing Launch Bar

Post by sharon »

This is the second time I am experiencing the same thing.

I had shutdown the system using the shutdown on the launch bar. Later when I restarted the system again, The launcher was gone and just a small little panel without any launch icons.

I ahd this problem earlier too with Pro, after that i switched to Home 3.1 and installed everything again. Everything worked perfectly only this small problem.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thank you in advance.
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

Back again, I logged in as 'root' and saw that the desktop with the launch bar was there, it only disappeared for the user.

I want to delete that user and create a new one, so that the new one has the launch bar.

I got the code to create and add a new user, but I do not know how to delete an existing user.

Courtsy of someone on the forum, I got the code for adding users which is as follows:

Code: Select all

you need to use the -m switch with useradd so that the home directory gets copied from /etc/skel you'll proabablly also want to make them a memeber of users, audio and wheel like this 
Code: 
useradd -G users,audio,wheel -m username 

If you've already set the user up you can create the home directory yourself like this 
Code: 
cp -avx /etc/skel /home/username 
chown username:users /home/username 
chown -R username:users /home/username/* 
Can someone give me a similar code to delete the user created by the above code please?

Thank you
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

are you sure that the launch bar disappeared for the user. You know that the launchbar can be minimized by clicking on the the small arrow marks on both the corners right?. Maybe that arrows are not seen on your resolution (could be getting chopped off at the ends). Maybe there is a flag that you set to make the lauchbar show up.

I havent tried deleting a user, but if you have the X frontend, there should be an admin option to do that.. I would guess.

HTH
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

magic fix xfce && magic

I dont understand why this is happening :(
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you delete a user with the userdel command

Code: Select all

userdel -r username
This will also delete the users home directory if you don't want to do that leave out the -r
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

Thank you for the instructions.
Will be trying them as soon as I finish the present user's job.