First time running Gentoox in a long while

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
brixey

First time running Gentoox in a long while

Post by brixey »

I have downloaded Gentoox Pro v5.0
I have a softmoded xbox v1.6 with a 250g hdd and usb for keyboard and mouse
I tryed to install by cd and ftp and they both work. I do not want to do a native install. I have selected to use my F:\ drive. Now when i run gentooxx.xbe it will bring me the the launcher. Now this is where i get confused. I remember probably 3 years ago my friend sent me the link to download gentoo or gentoox and when i got to this screen, i could just run linux, but now i tryed every app i can ( boot from cd, FATX, web boot and advanced) and nothing really works ( i am on dial up so i know that is why the web options dont work :( ) The closest i think i get is when i run FATX then gentoox it will load a bunch of stuff. I assume that everything loads ok because it will ask me to log in. i put in the defult username (root) and the password (xbox) then nothing happens. I can enter in commands but i dont know any to boot linux.

I also do have Gentoox Home v7 but i get the same thing, but when i run FATX, i get an error saying that my "/dev/hda2 no such file or directory. So if anyone could guide me threw this or link me to a guide i will be very thankful

Also i have tryed to search but i could not find anything simmular
Jeff Beezy

Re: First time running Gentoox in a long while

Post by Jeff Beezy »

Pro doesnt come with a GUI...its all command line
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

I`ve always found this thread to be a very usefull if not essential tool in setting up gentoox.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3092

have a read through that, it may not be what you are trying to do but there are lots of things that are usefull to know all the same.

bLiGhTy.
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
brixey

Post by brixey »

Thanks for the replys. I do have the home version as i said too. I am not trying to do a full native, i have like 80xbox games and thousands of nes and other games, so I am trying to get what i had when i had a retail hdd and detleted it. I remember after my friend installed it, i just had to go to launch apps from my xbox, then a program that launched .xbc (or what ever app that launches from xbox) then gentoo would load then it was like running linux from an xbox controler. So I am trying to get gentoox installed where I can launch it and keep all my data.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Sounds like you've got it working. Pro will only ever drop you to a command line, that's it...
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
brixey

Post by brixey »

Then I guess I am not looking for pro, Im trying to get it to run a desktop like it would for a pc. So I am guessing I would be using the Home edition? But again I do not want to do a full native.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Home will do exactly what you want. It doesn't require native at all.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
brixey

Post by brixey »

That is what I figured. But for some reason or another I cannot get it working. After installing it by cd or ftp, it keeps leading me to the same problem. After installing i tryed every app i can ( boot from cd, FATX, web boot and advanced) and nothing really works ( i am on dial up so i know that is why the web options dont work ) The closest i think i get is when i run FATX then gentoox it will load a bunch of stuff. I assume that everything loads ok because it will ask me to log in. i put in the defult username (root) and the password (xbox) then nothing happens. I can enter in commands but i dont know any to boot linux.

Thanks for your time