all users read/write access to fatx

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
bc54

all users read/write access to fatx

Post by bc54 »

ok, so im trying to setup an samba share that has all of my fatx partitions. i'm doing this so i have an easy way to access everything on my xbox. currently i am using a F partition loopback install. i have gentoox setup so that it boots into a shell ("no gui" setting during install). it correctly mounts all my partitions, and samba is working. on the remote comnputers, i can read everything on all partitions, but i can only write to the E partition. i need write access to all of the fatx partitions.
can someone help me please?
bc54

Re: all users read/write access to fatx

Post by bc54 »

sorry about the double post, bui found a work around to this.
in the /etc/samba/smb.conf, i added the lines

Code: Select all

force user = root
force group = root
to my shares. now i know, this horribly insecure, but i only boot gentoox for quick access to my files, then i quickly shutdown, so it is not "that" bad.
if anyone can find a real way to mount the fatx partitions so all users can read/write, then it would be greatly appreciated.
also, my first post wasn't very clear, i had tried editing /etc/fstab, but nothing worked. so i guess a little insecurity is the price i pay for easy samba sharing.
-thanx