DVD reader and sudo and unrar files.

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
GreenPotatis

DVD reader and sudo and unrar files.

Post by GreenPotatis »

How do i find the DVD reader so i can watch movies and things?
And how do i get Sudo to work?
And how do i unrar archives? have downloaded some Linux games but have to unrar them but can't. what shall i do?
rbsfou
Novice

Re: DVD reader and sudo and unrar files.

Post by rbsfou »

Gentoo doesn't have sudo (which allows a normal user to obtain root privileges temporarily through the use of their password) enabled by default. You can use 'su' instead to become the root user - the password for this by default is 'xbox'.

As for a DVD player, i dunno what is installed by default but mplayer and vlc will work - however, unless you have sorted out the overscan on your TV, it won't look that great - you may be better off with XBMC.

To unrar files, open up a terminal, run "su" to become root, (run 'magic' first if you never have), then "emerge unrar". After this is complete you may then extract files with "unrar x <file>.rar"...unrar-gpl is a completely free version, but it is not as compatible.

For help on gentoo, and not specific to gentoox (and the xbox) you may wish to try another forum - you may have noticed i am having real trouble getting my Xbox-specific questions answered :(
GreenPotatis

Post by GreenPotatis »

Okay, then I know :]

Okay, hope someone knows how to find the dvd reader so i can install some games :] does VLC work in gantoox?

okay thx, will try to do that :]

okay I'm talking about gentoox :]
rbsfou
Novice

Post by rbsfou »

Well, now i know what you mean by DVD Reader, that makes more sense! I do not know if you can read encrypted game dvd's in Linux, but for Video DVD's you will need to use libdvdcss to decrypt them for playback by VLC. Can't remember the last time i did that, but installing it shouldn't be different to any other Gentoo (i.e. Google for it!)

If you have (ahem) unencrypted game dvd's or iso's, you can use extract-xiso to install them (it's in portage, so you can 'emerge extract-xiso'). A VERY useful tool, it will also make iso's from a local or remote (via ftp) directory structure, so you can make bootable discs from game folders...

I usually do this outside of linux, from another linux machine, using the FTP functionality to XBMC's FTP server (see my post about 32k cluster FatX possibly not being supported / partition table possibly not being read correctly for why i can't access my 'G' drive in Linux - otherwise i would mount my server over nfs and use extract-xiso straight onto G).

Your other questions are not really xbox specific tho - sorry, i'm just hoping someone will actually read and reply to my xbox-specific questions (or is xbox linux dead now???) - i.e. in the rare event someone who knows xbox linux specific stuff very well will see my threads near the top ;)
GreenPotatis

Post by GreenPotatis »

Okay, movies i can open in the media players in GentooX but when it have started to play the movie then it just stops and the media player goes back like i didn't start the movie in it.
I got Frets On Fire (linux edition) on an dvd disc and want to install it in gentoox, how do i do it?

Okay :P i didn't really understand.

Okay.

I think xbox linux have started to die :( but i will continue to use it becuase the xboxes are amazing and funny :]