Recompiling the kernel? (NFS support, etc) - .config?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rbsfou
Novice

Recompiling the kernel? (NFS support, etc) - .config?

Post by rbsfou » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:40 am

Right i shall try VERY hard not to post URL's in this thread...

I usually keep my distfiles on another machine and access them over nfs, as i have several boxes running gentoo. But there is no NFS module in the kernel.

Is there a "GentooX" way of compiling new modules, or should i just grab the source and patches and do it myself?

Although if i was to do this, the kernel wasn't compiled with /proc/config.gz support, so does anyone have the kernel config that ShallaX uses? Would be nice not to have to compile support for hardware i have no hope of connecting ;)

Oh, and while we are on the subject, is there a reason why i can't use the 2.6 kernel available in xbox-sources? Can understand if it's something major - i've had to stick with 2.4 on my iPaq and Jornada for example...

rbsfou
Novice

Re: Recompiling the kernel? (NFS support, etc) - .config?

Post by rbsfou » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 am

.config plz

Does no-one else ever compile a kernel on the xbox? Surely someone else needs a filesystem module or usb-something module?

I also wanted to possibly use an xbox as a webcam server, but without access to the default .config, i am SOL for that too.

ShALLaX
Site Admin

Re: Recompiling the kernel? (NFS support, etc) - .config?

Post by ShALLaX » Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 pm

2.6 doesnt have FatX support, which is why it's not bundled. You should have a /usr/src/linux pre-populated with the distro, just compile that (the .config should be the one that was used to compile the shipped kernel).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo