Does anyone know of a UK 128mb upgrade service?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rbsfou
Novice

Does anyone know of a UK 128mb upgrade service?

Post by rbsfou »

O.K I promise this is my last GentooX n00b question for now ;)

As GentooX is a U.K. based , does anyone know of a place / person where i could send one (or two, one with bricked tsop to salvage the four ram chips, v. difficult on SMT i suppose) <1.5 mobo off to to be upgraded to 128mb? I've done plenty of googling with no joy. Or even a complete de-solder and upgrade to 256mb? I'd offer plenty of cash for parts and labour...

Or even more crazy, someone who can de-solder and re-fit PGA 128k cache CPU's / sockets (i read that games do strange things with more cache, but are generally o.k at higher clock speeds), or one of those 370 > PGA boards to use a tulatin (and how to disable the extra cache).

If there is a patient and steady-handed individual in the UK who could do this, i'm sure they could make a mint by offering services like this. I am so not capable of doing any of this myself, to the point i don't even want to try, I sweat bricks just doing the TSOP flashing points!

The xbox is so nice for analogue PAL tv's, but could be so much more - An xbox with a 1.4ghz tulatin 256mb RAM, that could still play games, and have a semi-native linux install would be a dream come true. My main reason for using the xbox over a Composite/SVideo enabled GPU (or even doing crazy things with RGB and underclocked modes) it is that i have NEVER seen a display mode or modeline that squishes pixels horizontally for anamorphic 16:9 (yes i know VLC et al can do the scaling, i mean a real display mode in X), and XBMC handles this with ease...If GentooX could do this also, this would rock (but that's a story for another time!!!).
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Does anyone know of a UK 128mb upgrade service?

Post by clpalmer »

If you want to ship it to the west coast of Canada and back, I'd be happy to do it. Doubt it's worth your while, though =)
rbsfou
Novice

Post by rbsfou »

Thanks matey, but i think the shipping would take a looooong time!

I can't believe there is such little interest in Xbox Linux, people are practically giving them away nowadays!
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Maybe so, but by the time you pay for the linux box and take the time to mod it so you can put linux on it, you realize that instead of the $100 you paid for the modded xbox, you could have paid $200 and bought a PC that does way more way faster =)
MattyMatt

Post by MattyMatt »

I would be interested in doing this when I learn how. I'll practice on one of my own first tho.

It does make sense, because $200 PCs in the UK are generally very old, very noisy, and use RAM that is hard to find. Old xboxes can be picked up at Ca$h Converters for £20. The 64MB ram is the biggest bottleneck for using them in a render farm, among other things.
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

I`m too looking for someone in the uk that can either upgrade one of my boards or send me a already done 1, must be v1 / 1mb bios board though.

:?: