Problem using magic

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
MattCook

Problem using magic

Post by MattCook »

This is my first post, well done to everyone involved with Gentoox it's a very neat distro.

I am using Home v6.1 and have never been able to run magic.

I am logged in as root and whenever I try to run any magic command I eventually get the following error ...

Code: Select all

Downloading magic [server test] failed, please try again later.
I thought it may be a firewall/port-blocking issue but I have shut down my router/modem firewall.
I can connect to the internet and can even see the server (folders and files) in firefox at => http://shallax.com:2000/

I don't know what to do next. I'd like to keep my gentoox up-to-date and emerge other packages. Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards ... Matt
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Problem using magic

Post by clpalmer »

Troll through the magic script and find the line that's failing and attempt to execute it directly. If it fails (maybe it's not just connecting to the server, but grabbing a particular file or something) then you can narrow it down a bit.
MattCook

Post by MattCook »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry to sound so thick, but where can I find the magic script? ... and how will I know which line is failing? (Is it a matter of commenting stuff out until it works?)
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

"which magic"

The which command will show you what file would be executed if you typed that command. To be honest, I don't run gentoox any more, as the XBox's didn't meet my needs for a server any more and are just front ends now, or I'd look it up for you.