noob login question

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
luken

noob login question

Post by luken »

I think I'm almost there. I did the native install and it went smoothly. Problem is, I dont have the usb adapter to use a keyboard. Its asking for a login but I cant type anything. I tried to SSH with putty but it wouldn't connect. I think I may have to be logged in first but wanted to ask to be sure. I tried to FTP and got a server response but Im unsure of the login. Im using executer. Do you know of any other way of getting in without buyin the usb adapter?

Thanks

**Actually, Im thinking that SSH is not loading prior to login. My real question is does SSH need to be enabled after first login?**
clpalmer
Power user

Re: noob login question

Post by clpalmer »

What address did you try to connect to with putty? The same one that shows on the screen on bootup? Have you made sure to put yourself in the same subnet as that address? ie. If your local network at home is 192.168.1.1 and the machine reports being 192.168.0.1, you can't just directly connect. You'll have to first put your machine on the 192.168.0. subnet or it won't route properly. Just change your computer address to 192.168.0.5 (or anything else on that subnet) and try again.

Of course, this may depend also on how your home network is set up.