Burning .iso file, booting Gentoox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
ambient61

Burning .iso file, booting Gentoox

Post by ambient61 »

I am total Newbie when it comes to ripping, decrypting, etcetera.

But, I am technically competent and an experienced hardware geek, building boxes from MB's and up.

But I do not know enough about the software and media to make an executable gentoox disc.

My core problem was burning the .iso file for Gentoox home. When I tried burning the .iso file using burning or dvd-decrypter and Nero. The files showed up as expected, meaning that there were directories, files and rar archives. but it would not fit on a 700 mb CD-r. So I tried burning it as a dvd and my xbox would not recognize it. 3 burns, 3 wasted DVD's

I tried burning the linuxboot.cfg and default.xbe files to try to get them to boot from a CD. No luck.

So, I really don't want to resort to an FTP install and I'm just not sure what to do next?

Anybody who is willing to help walk me through this will have a willing student.

Thank you.

Ambient61
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Burning .iso file, booting Gentoox

Post by clpalmer »

I thought the .iso burned as a fatx file system, meaning you shouldn't be able to read the disk afterwards with your windows box. Maybe this has changed, but if not, then maybe there's an issue with the way it's being burnt for you. Are you burning the iso as an image using disc-at-once (or if that doesn't work then track-at-once) with nero? It should fit on a CD.
ambient61

Post by ambient61 »

I tried Nero and it said it wouldn't fit on a disc and then used imgBurn (free/shareware)and it fit. The lead-in burn size must be different. But it would not boot.
vpgtd

Post by vpgtd »

well first off what optical drive is in ur box and what bios u are using. not all drive will read all media and stock xbox bios will not work at all. second do not burn it at a high speed burn it slower so the low power xbox laser has a better chance of reading it. if u are still having problems u can do a "POT' mod which allows the drive to read more types of media, or use a standard pc optical drive for install. most of these u must open the case to do. if u have any ?? about any of what i am saying pm and i will get u more info.
xbox ver 1.0
2x 80 gb hdd
xenium gold chip
80mm rear fan with fan controller
2x 60mm side fans with fan controller
tompson drive with pot tweak down to 1000
gentoox home