Blocking sets after emerge --sync/emerge portage/etc-update

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
EventHorizon

Blocking sets after emerge --sync/emerge portage/etc-update

Post by EventHorizon »

Good day, all.

Yes, a newb to Xbox Linux, but hey - it's installed, and I like it. Thanks, ShALLaX!

Just having an issue that I'm scratching my head over, however, just wanted to put it forward in the Newbie forum to see if anyone has an answer for me. :)

I've installed Gentoox to my f-drive (rootfs/swap) and it loads fine, however, I just had a question about patching/updating it. When the system came up the first time after I set up my configuration (X2VGA2, etc), I did the following:

1) emerge --sync
2) emerge portage
3) etc-update

I then ran a "emerge --pretend world" to see what would get updated, and if there could possibly be any 'blocking' sets out there that would prevent it from running.

Apparently, there is. /grin

[blocks B ] net-misc/xf4vnc (is blocking net-misc/tightvnc-1.3.9)
[blocks B ] <kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.6-r1 (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.7-r1)
[blocks B ] <=app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.1 (is blocking app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.7)
[blocks B ] kde-base/ksync (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r3)
[blocks B ] =app-dicts/aspell-en-0.5* (is blocking app-text/aspell-0.60.5)
[blocks B ] <=kde-base/kmail-3.5.6-r1 (is blocking kde-base/libkdepim-3.5.7-r1)

I don't paticularily care about the KDE filesets (as I'm using XFCE, as I only have a 64MB XBox), however, I'm interested in clearing up these sets so I can actually do the "emerge --update world" and have it run successfully.

Do I have to remove/unmerge the blocking set in order to install the updated version? Ie. emerge -C xf4vnc, emerge -C kde-base, emerge -C gnupg, emerge -C aspell-en-0.5

Should I instead un --depclean or --prune instead of -C/--unmerge?

I'll keep reading (paticularily about patching under Gentoo/Gentoox - I'm used to AIX/Solaris/HP-UX) as well.

Thank you!

EH