Gentoox bootloader - can't select / choose boot option

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
nipchee

Gentoox bootloader - can't select / choose boot option

Post by nipchee »

I am having a problem with the blue graphical bootloader screen that pops up when the Gentoox liveCD starts up.

From what I can tell, I am supposed to be able to choose where to boot from (i.e., "native," "CD," etc.). However, I can't figure out HOW to choose anything but "native," which is the default option. My xpad doesn't seem to do a damn thing... from what I can tell it is just automatically selecting "native" when it fails to recieve input from the xpad.

I have two guesses as to the problem: (1) I'm missing something INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS, or (2) the bootloader doesn't have support for my third-party "MadCatz" controller.

My controller works fine for all other purposes (e.g., it navigated the xebian desktop perfectly). Of course, the problem could be something entirely different!

I've looked for AGES to find an answer to this problem... any help?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Madcatz = no good :(

I had the same problem when I first did it. Took me awhile to realize that the madcatz controller was to blame. Have to get a microsoft one (or maybe a different 3rd party one, not sure)
nipchee

Post by nipchee »

Guess I'll have to try it on the cheap and see if the kids next door will lend me their original xpad for a few.

Thanks!
007bond
Linux User

Post by 007bond »

Why should different controllers need different drivers?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

They're USB devices, so I assume there's something odd in the way the madcatz device presents itself that the xbox drivers have taken into account but the cromwell bios ones haven't. Different ID maybe, dunno.