Magic breaks Xorg

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Tobermory Womble

Magic breaks Xorg

Post by Tobermory Womble »

I've looked back over a number of recent posts and didn't find references to this issue, apologies if it's been covered before.

I've just done an ftp install of Home 6.2 and everything starts up fine, including Xorg. However, once I run magic, Xorg breaks, with the following errors in the Xorg log-

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//vnc.so: undefined symbol: XkbInitialMap
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules//vnc.so

(II) LoadModule: "nvxbox"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvxbox
(EE) Failed to load module "nvxbox" (module does not exist, 0)

(II) LoadModule: "rfbkeyb"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module rfbkeyb
(II) UnloadModule: "rfbkeyb"
(EE) Failed to load module "rfbkeyb" (module does not exist, 0)

(II) LoadModule: "rfbmouse"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module rfbmouse
(II) UnloadModule: "rfbmouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "rfbmouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

My xbox has a Conexant chipset and is driving an HDTV through a component cable, at 720p. This was on a fresh installation that I did to prove the problem, with minimal changes just to sort networking etc. I did run magic as root and I have run xbvset, also as root.

I've checked under /usr/lib/xorg and the problem modules are definitely missing. I'll carry on trying to sort this, but in the meantime any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: It turns out that he critical issue is that the nvxbox module was missing - a softlink from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvxbox_drv.o to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvxbox_drv.so cured it.
I still get the warnings for the RFB devices, but Xorg now starts and runs fine.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Magic script updated to create this symlink automatically. The RFB warnings have always been there (the modules are actually built in to another module so can safely be ignored - the modules ARE being loaded).

Thanks!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo