server/samba optimizations

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
xiaoxiaomoo

server/samba optimizations

Post by xiaoxiaomoo »

First off, thanks Shallax and cheesyboofs for your work!

I just installed via the fully native guide with success. (I also had to transfer the usr folder piece by piece)

My goal: A small but efficient and fast networked attached storage, just a file server really for my media. (I have them mapped on xp already)

To reach my goal of efficiency and speed, I would like to know if there are optimizations I can perform (on gentoo or samba) to make it perform better. (Right now, transfer is around 10mb/s wired, which seems kinda slow on cat5)

Additionally, I found that after installation (no files in my storage folder yet), the disk already was 9.6gigs (even after deleting rootfs, i.e. just gentoo, samba, and webmin). I'm wondering if this seems kind of.. bloated?

I would appreciate any help in this endeavor! Thanks in advance!
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I think there must be some kind of issue with either your xbox or with whatever other box you're using to test the transfer speed. With mine, I've seen closer to 20-40mbit/s depending on the application.
xiaoxiaomoo

Post by xiaoxiaomoo »

I've tested the system with my laptop and with my regular PC. the files are usually 200-1000mb video files. It's connected through a actiontec router (verizon fios stock).