HOW TO: Video Setup

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
joshua.lyon
Linux User

HOW TO: Video Setup

Post by joshua.lyon »

I've noticed that the biggest issue that people seem to be having with gentoox is getting the video set up properly. I've spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect settings and struggled through it quite a bit.

I dont have a version 1.6 xbox and I was still having trouble getting my settings correct to reduce the amount of overscan, but maximize my resolution. I'll briefly walkthrough the key points I used to get the max out of my display.

1. Install GentooX using SSH (overscan issues prevented me from being able to read the text)

2. Remote in using VNC client on port 5900 (or just access using a web browser: xbox-ip:5800) - I was having issues seeing video output on my TV, so this allowed me to access the box and see the screen.
a. Run "xbvset" as root ("su -") from a terminal.
b. Follow the prompts. In my case, the correct options were HDTV - 720p (as I expected) I tried a few different settings until I found the setting that was closest for me.
c. You can also simply try the different resolutions from display preferences while in VNC. Even if the resolution screws up your TV display, you will still have the VNC client to change the setting in.

--By this point you should have a decent video signal up, which may have slight overscan--

3. Run "emerge --sync" to update the emerge cache

4. Run "emerge xvidtune" - this downloads and installs the tool we will use to adjust the overscan.

5. Run "xvidtune" this tool allows you to fine tune the adjustments of your HSync, VSync, pixel clock, etc without having to know the technical calculations. You simply press left or right to move the screen left or right and narrower or wider to adjust the width. (Same applies for height). This part is critical to fixing (or at least adjusting) the overscan.
a. Play with the settings here, pressing "Test" to temporarily try out the new settings as you go. When you are done, press apply.
V1.1 (Conexant) - 300 gig, XBMC, GentooX
56" 1080p LCoS TV

V1.4 (Focus) - 300 gig, XBMC, GentooX
37" 1080i LCD TV
joshua.lyon
Linux User

Post by joshua.lyon »

I'll take some screenshots/pictures tomorrow so you can see how well this fixed my overscan. The width of the screen is now perfect - and the height is perfect at the top, but only slightly off at the bottom.
V1.1 (Conexant) - 300 gig, XBMC, GentooX
56" 1080p LCoS TV

V1.4 (Focus) - 300 gig, XBMC, GentooX
37" 1080i LCD TV
babaganoush

Post by babaganoush »

Greetings,

I like you, do not have a 1.6 xbox but still have the overscan problem running at 720p over component cables. I ran xvidtune as you describe but I only get maybe one movement (narrower, taller, etc) before my tv goes blank and says "Mode not Supported".

Any ideas?

I have also tried 480p with the same result.
jangarznya

Re: HOW TO: Video Setup

Post by jangarznya »

im having some display problems too.
i ftp the latest home edition as of (2/29/08)
i have a none hdtv downstairs with a rgb input so i went with "component" during the install because it wansnt a "hdtv" and it wasnt "x2vga" whatever the #&!* that is!

i want
1. to use it upstairs on my tv thats only got a rf input and an rf adpter for my xbox. is that posible?
2. i thinkthe colors broken or sumthing everythings almost black and white. maybe this can be fixed in the options? or by doing somethign with its comand prompt.
3. i tried to vcn in to it and it ask for a password. i typed the ip of the xbox followed by a : then 5900 and it takes me to a vcn athorization site and that ask for a password i tried "xbox" and "root"