Need Help Badly

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
gibsta269

Need Help Badly

Post by gibsta269 »

I have a broadband connection that was hoping to connect to my xbox. The situation is that i have verizon dsl that comes in via a Westell modem. Then, through an etherent connection it hooks up to a router, where then my xbox is hooked up as well. When i log on to the dsl with all my other computers, i have to type in my name and password after i have set up the connection on that computer. Now i am wondering how i could set up the connection on gentoox or how to get the interent going at all. If you really wanted to, you could treat this as if the xbox was directly connect to the modem via ethernet. Somebody please help me, i would really like to connect to the interent
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

I don't really get this at all - Are you using a PPPOE modem?..
Switch to a broadband router that handles the authentication for you. And you skip that hassle all together.

Any cheap D-Link would do the trick..

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

But if you REALLY want to, there is support for PPPOE in linux.

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu
gibsta269

Post by gibsta269 »

ok yea, i do have a broadband router that supports auto authentication, but the problem is that it is broken, when ever you put the modems etherent cable into the internet port, i dont get any internet at all, and I know that its set up right. So anyways, I just use the router to split the internet connection between my computers and the xbox and just use the pppoe authentication on the computer to connect to the internet. Now where can i find the pppoe for linux?