Seeking assistance with native VGA on

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
efini

Seeking assistance with native VGA on

Post by efini »

Hello,

Introduction:

I recently started using GentooX Home v6.1 and I've fallen in love with it :D I've also been forum lurking and after reading the positive posts and upgraded my motherboard to 128Mb. Xfce loads mozilla so much faster!

Before I begin, I have made an exhaustive search for help on this. I am aware others have tried native VGA. However, many tutorials appear to be dated or for Xebian. Other posts from members can be 2 years old. I am at my wits end [and this is why I'm posting here.

Goal

Trying to achieve 800x600 or preferably 1024x768 through native vga.

Problem:

I would like to run Home v6.1 in native VGA. That is, using a VGA cable that is constructed on the VGA tutorial on the XBOX Linux page. I have built the cable correctly and my monitor also supports Sync on Green.

Setup:

XBOX v1.0 with Conexant encoder
Modchip Flashed with GentooX Loader Bios v6.05
VGA Cable with Mode 1+3
GentooX Home v6.1

Description:

The XBOX is started up with the GentooX loader bios and with the vga cable on mode 1+3. Upon bootup, my monitor is blank and reports a strange frequency: 35Khz/300Hz. I was told that Cromwell or GentooX loader should startup immediately at 800x600@56Khz.

Fortunately, after loading the install disc, I can see Tux along with everything loading and install the rest of GentooX just fine. However, the only mode that will work for me is 480P. This limits GentooX to run only at 704x480. If I try any other mode in xbvset, it does not work. I have also tried fbset which also yields no results. In addition, I have also edited linuxboot.cfg which did not work either.

I tried another tutorial on this forum which was to enable VGA text console and disable the riva driver but it looks like that is also outdated. From other forum searching, others mentioned xbv but I could not find documentation for it and gentoox home uses xbvset instead.

Any assistance would be deeply and sincerely appreciated.