Overscan Problem with Gentoox and 1.6 Xbox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Don Cartagena

Overscan Problem with Gentoox and 1.6 Xbox

Post by Don Cartagena »

Hi,

I have finally decided to dig a bit more into this Linux, and "installed" the latest Gentoox Home Edition on my Xbox.

Unfortunately I am suffering from the Overscan problem, which prevents me from viewing the whole screen, no matter if I use normal composite output or HDTV.

On my search for a solution, I stumpled over this forum and thought this is maybe a good place to directly ask: Is there a fix for this issue available by now?

Bye,
Don
Don Cartagena

Post by Don Cartagena »

So it looks like this is not solved...

I still wonder why all other launchers like XBMC, Avalaunch etc. don't have any Overscan Problems, and the powerful Linux has. :(
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

They DO have overscan problems. They get around it by making the GUI much smaller. The similar solution in linux is to make sure you dont maximise your windows outside of the boundaries of the screen, I'm afraid :(

No one is actively working on a fix for this.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Don Cartagena

Post by Don Cartagena »

Okay, thanks for the info!
joshua.lyon
Linux User

Post by joshua.lyon »

ShALLaX wrote:They DO have overscan problems. They get around it by making the GUI much smaller. The similar solution in linux is to make sure you dont maximise your windows outside of the boundaries of the screen, I'm afraid :(

No one is actively working on a fix for this.
I don't understand why you can't shrink the GUI for a linux window manager as well. Granted, I don't know enough about the actual code-behind that creates the interface, but it seems like it should be something that can be done.

Hell, I had the same issue on a Windows box (overscan on an HDTV), but I fixed it once I found the right software tools.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

X is just not designed to cope with overscan, unfortunately.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo