1ghz/256kb/128mb Ram Guy Looking For Some Help W/Gentoox!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
TheIrishLad

1ghz/256kb/128mb Ram Guy Looking For Some Help W/Gentoox!

Post by TheIrishLad »

For anyone who is wondering why I put 1ghz in the title...I bought this Xbox from a dude in China and it has been upgraded to 1ghz/256kb cache and 128mb RAM. -> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=544313

I'm a complete stranger to anything Linux, but I'm not a complete schmu, I've installed the latest Gentoox Home through FTP and I can load it up fine. But all I get is 4 options, CD/DVD, Advanced, Web something..., and Net something...Where are all the programs I'm supposed to have? I loaded up the file gentooxx.xbe through XBMC. From the one screenshot I've seen of Gentoox, something isn't right...it doesn't look like that. Sorry for being a huge noob, but I'm stumped...

I'm wondering how to install programs. The only way I can see how to install anything is by loading something off a CD? I've installed XDSL as well, but it is almost identical in the setup.

Any help appreciated!

Edit~ If anyone has anything they would like me to try out with the Xbox feel free to ask!

Thanks,
~IrishLad
TheIrishLad

Post by TheIrishLad »

UPDATE: Got it working.

One more question though, how do I install applications? And where can I access the CD rom. I have a program on CD that I want Linux to load but can't figure out how to do it.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You install stuff with "emerge". To access the cd drive, you need to mount /dev/hdc.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo