Is this possible

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
johnbhoy
Linux User

Is this possible

Post by johnbhoy »

I Was just wondering if this is possible to do.

Basically looking to use my old xbox as a NAS drive/linux server but still want to have XBMC as dash on C Drive and then just boot the linux part of it using the .xbe. Will then be looking to install linux on full e or f drive (think a full install of F would be best) using Fatx format. I would be intending using the the linux server when up and running as a recording device with my dbox2 as the tuner.

I think i am right in saying this when the linux server is up and running i should be able to record ts streams straight to the hardrive much in the same way that I currently record ts streams to my pc using a samba share /CIFS.(and yes i have read the samba thread on this subject)

My question is this... When i have recorded the streams to the fatx linux partition. Will xbmc be able to see these files when i reboot to xbmc dash. I know for sure that it would not be able to see ext3,etc but was not sure if it would be possible for it to see the faxtx partition and the files.

edit _ meant to reply to this post
viewtopic.php?t=3763&highlight=fatx
johnbhoy
Linux User

Post by johnbhoy »

I can confirm after a bit of time spent trying to get this working that its now working fine. Had some issues with users and samba users but got there in the end.
johnbhoy
Linux User

Post by johnbhoy »

I have another question. its maybe not gentoox specific.I dont use my xbox to play games at all. I use it purely as a media centre.
I have XBMC on C drive as dash. Is its possible to install linux natively on the E drive as ext3 instead of the loopback and then keep all the other partitions as fatx. IE want to keep c and f as fatx for xbmc use.

I believe in order to do this i need to boot from bios rather than just selecting the xbe in xbmc as it will not be available to see. due to it being ext3.

have been reading up on installing natively on G and was wondering if the principle is the same. Or will i end up breaking anything by only changing E partition to a different format.

Thanks