install gentoox, no games

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
spikeofdoom

install gentoox, no games

Post by spikeofdoom »

i got an xbox from a friend, i have nothing, i just have the xbox, rca and power cables, i have a dongle witch i am going to put a usb female on so i can connect a keyboard, but i have no games at all, i was wondering if theres a way to mabye switch HDD's with 1 that already has gentoox installed and have it work. or mabye a way i can load the installer without having 007,mechassult, or splintercell?

i have a couple extra hdd's so if anyone knows how i could get gentoox installed without having those games (and not installing a mod chip) then please let me know

boredinmemind is my AIM name
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

The problem you have with this new xbox is that it will have the original xbox BIOS code this causes the xbox to first check if the hard disk is locked and fail to boot if it is not. Then it issues the unlock code to the hard disk and checks the disk is now unlocked again if not it fails.

To be honest if I had got this to do in the style of the A team being locked in a barn I would be trying shorting out the write lninks for the TSOP, hot swapping the hard disk with another disk running a custom dash launched from the shortcut for microsoft's dash and hoping it locked the disk on power down so that next time it booted it launched the custom dash so as to reflash the TSOP with a cromwell BIOS to allow the GentooX installation.

However if I were in the real world I would worst comes to worst borrow a mod chip, flash the TSOP the work on from there.

!!INSERT BIG DISCLAIMER FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGE HERE!!
I wrote this!