Installation Error

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Puffer

Installation Error

Post by Puffer »

I am attempting to install GentooX Home 6.1 on my softmodded box. I get to the point where Testing Filesystem shows and then get an error. The message is "Error writing to the Install Device" This appears so rapidly I have not been able to see if Testing Filesystem shows OK or not. Formatting Filesystem and Mounting Filesystem show OK.

I am performing an F drive install with 11 Gb free on F and 3 Gb free on E.

Also, I have noticed, after the blue boot screen vanishes and menu text begins to appear I get an error message. It is as follows:

"Text off screen that I cannot read" failed to allocate resource 2(F8000000-f7ffffff) for 01:00.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

What type of install are you performing, e, f or native?
(I presume you are not performing the FTP install by the installation messages!)
'e' - You must have 4.5GB free on your E: drive.

'f' - You must have 4.5GB free on your F: drive and 650MB free on your E: drive. The 650MB on E: is just used during installation and is freed up after the install is complete. (i.e. it is just temporary space)

'native' - You must have 4.5GB free on your E: drive and at least a 2GB F: partition. The 4.5GB on E: is just used during installation and is freed up after the install is complete. (i.e. it is just temporary space)
source: http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=42

The 'f' drive install should run fine but the other two will cause errors due to free space on 'e'
I wrote this!
Puffer

Post by Puffer »

I am performing an F drive install. I finally got frustrated and did the FTP install and all went extremely well. I am now playing with the XFCE build and loving it. I am having problems with overscan though. I have used XBVSET to verify my settings to HDTV and 720P but the screen still over fills my display. My XBOX is a 1.3 so the 1.6 limitations should not be an issue. I am going to try turning off 1080i support in the XBOX dash to see if this helps the issue. I will post the results later. Thanks for the thoughts, Timmo.