Unmodded Xbox . . . advice?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Gaudentius

Unmodded Xbox . . . advice?

Post by Gaudentius »

I have an Xbox about a year old that's seen minimal use. I have been wanting to get into Linux for a while now. Here is what I'm wondering though:

1- I know I need a modchip. I'm not interested in playing backups, just my original games. But I am curious about the different "dashboards". Could I still have a full install of Linux available?

2- I've seen some of the hardware available online, the LCD control panel for the X3 in particular. Could I still use those with Linux?

3- If I can have a full install of linux available, would it be a LILO situation or something similar?

4- I'm thinking that I'd like to keep the original HD available. Could I install a second HD (very important to me) to boot off of for Linux? Or at least to store media?

5- I think I would like to use the Xbox mainly for media (XBMC?). But I would like to learn more about Linux which is why I want to go this route. Is this a good starting off point? FYI: I'm not afraid of cracking open the Xbox and with my limited soldering skills slapping a modchip in there.

I hope my questions are clear and concise. I look forward to your response(s)!

GD
gnif
Novice

Post by gnif »

1- I know I need a modchip. I'm not interested in playing backups, just my original games. But I am curious about the different "dashboards". Could I still have a full install of Linux available?
Yes, you can have a "full" install of linux by either softmodding your xbox, or installing a modchip and running a custom dashboard, or installing a modchip and flashing it with cromwell.
2- I've seen some of the hardware available online, the LCD control panel for the X3 in particular. Could I still use those with Linux?
I think they just use i2c to controll the LCD, if there is a linux driver for it, I am sure you can.
3- If I can have a full install of linux available, would it be a LILO situation or something similar?
No, lilo doesnt boot on the xbox... even though we have hacked it, and it can run as a normal PC, it still has it's differences that prevent this (read the info on xbox-linux for technical reasons)
4- I'm thinking that I'd like to keep the original HD available. Could I install a second HD (very important to me) to boot off of for Linux? Or at least to store media?
Yes, you could swap between two HDDs, but only if you use a mod chip.
5- I think I would like to use the Xbox mainly for media (XBMC?). But I would like to learn more about Linux which is why I want to go this route. Is this a good starting off point? FYI: I'm not afraid of cracking open the Xbox and with my limited soldering skills slapping a modchip in there.
Fistly, this site will NOT help you with XBMC in any way shape or form... XBMC in compiled form is illegal (atleast until openXDK is complete enough to compile it).

Xbox linux is an good place to play with linux, but (there is always a but), in my opinion, you should start with a normal PC... as I mentioned before, while the xbox is like a normal PC internally, it has its differences which make certain things hard/different to configure/install. Also, they do not perform anywhere near like what your desktop PC can do.

If you want to learn linux, I reccomend getting a 2nd HDD and installing it into your desktop PC, and dual booting a good distro of linux (Debian or Gentoo), dont touch RedHat, its package management system is HORRIBLE and will leave you crying.

Gentoo is good if you like to compile everything for your PC and squeeze that extra little bit of performance out of your pc... but compile type can be annoying, and it can be a little more complex then pre-compiled distros like Debian.

I like to think of Debian as the pre-compiled version of Gentoo... it has an excellent package management system(APT) that in many ways is much like gentoo's(Emerge).

Personally I like both Gentoo and Debian, but out of the two, I like Debian more, but thats just me.

BTW: For all those noobs that say "gentoo is better then everything".... I am not starting a flame war here... just pointing out that each has their good and bad points, and one may be more suitable then the other in certain circumstances. They are both excellent distro's and deserve the credit they are due.