Running Magic

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Singaso

Running Magic

Post by Singaso »

OK this has been happening to me since I've installed gentoox home v6.1. Everytime I try to run magic it tells me that "Downloading magic [server test] failed, please try again later.
Press enter to quit..." I have the right time on my xbox and ever since v6.1 came out its been happening so I havent been able to update gentoox.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

how is internet access on your box, can you connect ok with say, firefox?
Singaso

Post by Singaso »

I cant blieve i never thought of trying that. as a matter of fact it doesn't connect to the internet. the problem is I mainly use my xbox to keep all my music and videos in it so that when I go to parties i can take my xbox which is more portable to play music. is there any way u can help me?
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

Magic requires you to conect to the internet; there is no way around that. You could do everything manually, but in order to install anything it would still need to download it from the internet... Once you get it all setuo you could leave it disconnected, however...

Linux is and alawys has been dependant on the net. That's just what linux is.
Singaso

Post by Singaso »

Well it is connected to my network and internet. I dont know why it doesnt connect to the internet. I could connect from my computer to it using samba, ftp and putty why not the internet. someone please help.
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

If it's connected to the network then I might be able to help.

Run the following command on the command line:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
If it displays an error message then post that message and the output of this command:

dmesg | tail
If it brings the net back up successfully then run the following command:

ping www.google.com
If that is successful then you are connected to the internet just fine. Your problem with magic is most likely because your router isn't letting you connect to port 2000.

If that fails then try this command

ping 66.102.7.104
If the first ping fails but the second one succeded then your problem is with dns. You can manually add your isp's dns servers to /etc/resolv.conf to fix this, but the bigger issue is that your dhcp server on your router isn't telling your computer what the dns servers are.

If you were able to bring up net and both pings fail then post back the output of the following two commands:

ifconfig
route
There are a number of things that could go wrong when connecting any computer to a network (yes the Xbox is a computer). How is your network setup? Do you use a firewall/router? How certain are you that the network cable you are using to connect the Xbox is good?
gnif
Novice

Post by gnif »

Linux is and alawys has been dependant on the net. That's just what linux is.
Not true, Linux is just the kernel... it depends on the distro for net dependency... Thats why you can "buy" RedHat/Fedora/Suse off the shelf and use it without internet access.

Anyway...
a simple thing to try:

dhclient eth0
thats if your lan is running DHCP... if this fixes it, edit the file "/etc/network/interfaces" and change where it has "inet static" to "inet dhcp".

DHCP should setup your IP, dns and route settings for you.
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

gnif wrote: Not true, Linux is just the kernel... it depends on the distro for net dependency... Thats why you can "buy" RedHat/Fedora/Suse off the shelf and use it without internet access.
True Linux is just the kernel... A kernel born and developed on the internet. It's main distrobution channel is also the internet. However, I wasn't really talking about Linux, but rather GNU/Linux with the distrabution of your choice. I just shortened it to Linux.

All open source prjects depend on the internet in this regard. Although you could buy off the shelf products, if you want to upgrade (which is mostly what magic does) you generally need to connect to the internet.