Xbox 1.6 Kernel upgrade

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rwincewicz

Xbox 1.6 Kernel upgrade

Post by rwincewicz »

I'm fairly new to the linux thing and even newer to the idea of putting it on hardware that was never meant to run it. It's tricky at times and makes me realise how much effort other people have put in so that I even have a chance of getting it to work.

I've been fighting for a while now but I'm having issues upgrading the kernel on my v1.6 (I didn't realise the problems I would have or I would have bought an older one!).

I've got a native install so the fatx issue with the 2.6 kernels (or 2.4!) isn't an issue.

I downloaded, patched, configured and compiled the 2.6.16.29 version of the kernel and everything went fine. When I rebooted I didn't have eth0 but adding "forcedeth" to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 seemed to sort that out.

The other issue I'm having is with i2c. I tried a variety of different module/compile settings but nothing seemed to get i2c working and often the system would hang before it even started booting.

I read something in the forum about the 2.6 kernel using udev instead of devfs but I've come to the end of what I can figure out for myself.

Is there any chance someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

you wont get i2c working with 1.6 xboxes xbox-linux and this site will tell you why
rwincewicz

Post by rwincewicz »

Thanks for the reply orochi.

I understand that there are issues with v1.6 xboxes and i2c but it seems to work fairly well with the installation I've got at the moment (Pro 4.1).

The motherboard and CPU probes don't work with phpsysinfo but I can get a readout from mrtg-xboxtemp.

I was just hoping that there was a way of getting this to work with a 2.6 kernel.
gnif
Novice

Post by gnif »

my current 2.6.16.1 kernel is working fine with i2c...

Code: Select all

# dmesg
Linux version 2.6.16.1-xbox (root@sparky.spacevs.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-19)) #3 Wed Nov 15 12:47:06 CET 2006
...SNIP...
i2c-xbox.o version 0.0.1
i2c-xbox.o: Found nVidia XBOX nForce SMBus controller.
i2c-xbox.o: SMBus bus detected and initialized
xbox-tv-i2c: Using 'SMBus adapter at c000'!
...SNIP...