mythTV and freevo

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
dunebug

mythTV and freevo

Post by dunebug »

Has anybody got experience with mythTV and/or Freevo? Which of these works better on GentooX? It looks like GentooX MCE comes with mythTV, so I'm guessing that one is well supported. Assuming that is the case, should I download it from the mythTV website, or is there a version specific to GentooX that I should download?

Thanks again
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

I use MythTV, but I haven't really touched freevo.

MythtTV works great, the only issue is that it will not work well enough (choppy playback) on a normal GentooX (or any other distrobution) install on a loopback (large file on Xbox drive). You must install GentooX either as a native install (format the drive rendering it useless for gaming) or through an NFS root (HowTo on Gentoo's Wiki).

Also note that you can not record shows on the Xbox. You will need a seperate coputer for use as the backend, which will record all your shows. Personally I have two backend servers that distrubute the media to 5 different locations in the house, including the Xbox.

You don't need to download it from the website. Just type the command "emerge mythtv". You will also need to do this on the server. You should go to the HowTO for MythTV on Gentoo's Wiki.