Getting started; linux and gentoox programs & questions

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
dunebug

Getting started; linux and gentoox programs & questions

Post by dunebug »

1.) Is there a list somewhere of all of the programs in GentooX? There is a list of new ones in the manual; should I assume everything else is the same as in Gentoo and look on the Gentoo website?

2.) Can I install regular linux software onto my GentooX xbox? Like stuff I download from sourceforge?

3.) If and once I have installed it, should I expect it to work correctly? If not, what programs are most likely not to work (e.g. programs that use 3d drivers)?

4.) I read that GAIM comes with GentooX home. If I login as root, and them I'm sitting there at that dos-looking prompt, can I run GAIM, or does it only run inside a linux GUI like KDE? GAIM is just an example; I'm curious about all programs of that sort.

5.) I messed with my read-write permissions and I was thinking of re-installing the whole Gentoox to fix it. I read in the manual that I should run Resctoox to change the partition it is installed on; will this also let me reinstall it over top of the one that is already there?

6.) I read somewhere that there is no 3d driver. I suppose there is a standard video driver used instead, but that got me wondering. Is there any hardware on the xbox that isn't implemented or doesn't work quite right, like audio, network card, etc?

Thanks for considering my newb questions.
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

1. Yes same as Gentoo, but with a some added by ShALLaX
2. Yes
3. Really depends on the version of the Xbox. The older versions work the best and 1.6 has larger issues. 3d excelleration does not work. HDTV takes a little work to configure just right. I never got my optical audio to work correctly (sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't). Kernel version 2.6 does not work with fatx, so stay with 2.4.
4. GAIM is an X app if I recall. You have to be in X to run it (this is setup rather easily at first boot). Short answer, yes needs to be in GUI.
5. It may let you but you should just start from scratch if you're re-installing. What do you mean you messed with your read-write permissions?
6. All hardware in the Xbox works except for 3d and some 3rd party addons like cheap HDTV stuff (and my optical audio). Also 1.6 Xboxs have various hardware issues. Do a search on 1.6 Xboxes and you'll see. Basically, however, the 1.6 Xboxes have some vidoe issues and can't properly scan the hardware.