Installing GentooX on none of the above?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
dunebug

Installing GentooX on none of the above?

Post by dunebug »

I need help figuring out which drive\installation to use. Please correct me if any of my understanding is wrong.

I dont have enough space on my E drive to install it there.
I have a 160 GB Hard disk, so the F drive has a lot of capacity. Most of it is full right now with music and software.

My understanding is that if I install onto the F drive then NO users other than root will be able to write on that entire drive. I think this is the best method, but I wish that non-root users could still write to the drive, as that is where almost all of the free and usable filespace exists.

If I install to the E drive, I will need something like 4.5 GB, according to the manual. I couldnt find the filespace reqs anywhere else. I dont have enough space on E for that; however that would allow non-root users to write to the F drive.

I could backup all of the files I have on F drive right now (~130GB) and then do a native F install. I dont understand how this works, but it sounds like the entire f drive is reformatted into a linux disk format. This method appears to allow non-root users to write to the f drive. My concern about this method is whether this native linux file system will be compatible with everything else running on the xbox, like the evox OS , avalaunch, and xbox-media center, etc. If not, then the native install wouldnt work for me.

Any advice?

Please dont write me with suggestions to search the forums, manual, faq, etc; I already have.

Thank you
dunebug

Addendum

Post by dunebug »

I think the best option right now is to install onto the f-drive (fatx, not native).

Does anybody know if there is a version of this that is more like 3GB? That way I would still have space to install on E. Or perhaps there is a way to move some of the files?

Will the xbox still run games from the hard drive if they are stored in a native linux partition?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Re: Addendum

Post by orochi »

dunebug wrote:I think the best option right now is to install onto the f-drive (fatx, not native).

Does anybody know if there is a version of this that is more like 3GB? That way I would still have space to install on E. Or perhaps there is a way to move some of the files?

Will the xbox still run games from the hard drive if they are stored in a native linux partition?

you could run about 3gb and have no free space

no, xbox bios cant understand anything but a crappy fat32 filesystem variant
dunebug

f drive is a go

Post by dunebug »

I installed on the f drive. I did not do a native install. It seems to work. As expected, the f-drive does not have write permission. However I think a lot of that can be changed using a permissions command chmod as the root user.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

its not going to give anyone but root rw access to f: when its run from f:, else every user could mess with rootfs wich is bad news
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

You have give others write access to the drive by editing fstab, chmod won't really help you since it's a fatx filesystem. Adding the option uid=gentoox to the f drive entry and that would give only the user gentoox write permissions (actually gentoox would own it).
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

or leave fstab the way it is, and create a new mount point with the options you want so you can enable/disable it much easier