Super-noob question

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
fredgarvin

Super-noob question

Post by fredgarvin »

I did a test install of gentoox on e: a while back, and now that I've convinced myself that it kicks ass, I have put a big HD in the xbox, and am ready to do a native install.

So, I downloaded resctoox and rebooted...now here's the lame super-noob part...I can't get the xbox to boot into resctoox. It sees the fatx install of gentoox, and just boots into that. I see the menu for a few seconds, where I'm supposed to be able to select between DVD or FATX, but I can't figure out how to select the DVD drive. I've tried using my xpad, I've tried using my usb mouse...nothing. What's the trick?

I AM using a wireless xpad...maybe there's a problem with that syncing up in time or something?

-Fred Garvin
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

you cant select the DVD drive with your controller upon the bios loading? if so try a standard microsoft wired controller
fredgarvin

Post by fredgarvin »

Nope..can't use wireless xpad (the only one I have right now). I actually went to the store today to purchase a wired controller, and the bastards were all out! Just a bunch of xbox360 controllers now.

In the meantime, I ftp'd into the box while running unleashx and renamed linuxboot.cfg...rebooted with resctoox, and it booted from the DVD/CD! Hooray!

However, during boot I got a couple messages that concerned me, like "unable to allocate resource" and another one that I can't remember at the moment. Think that was related to my renaming linuxboot.cfg? Can't see how it would be...
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

if the message was from rescutoox about not allocating resources it should be normal