gentoox, XBMC and ports to other hardware?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
srewojar

gentoox, XBMC and ports to other hardware?

Post by srewojar »

Hi,
I am sure I qualify as a newbie. First of all I have modded my xbox. I use avalaunch with the latest build of the XBMC. I really like this set up as a set top box.

However, what I would like to do, for instance, is build a small pc using mini-itx via board system and get it up and running with xbmc or something similar.

I am assuming my xbox is running a linux flavor now??? (sorry for my ignorance).

I am a developer but use Windows & Borland tools all the way and I have only fiddled with Linux in the past for ftp and webserver stuff.

I am really getting into Media Center and do NOT want to use Microsoft Media Center.

The XBMC is really slick. I just want to run it on a standard pc under Linux. If I had a TV capture card and could have cable input as well it would be cool.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Anthony

PS: Myself and one of my developers worked 3 days this week straight using Gentoo and trying to get Freevo up and running with an IRMAN and remote... We finally got freevo to operate with the remote but freevo would not play any media files.... (discouraging to say the least) and Freevo looks crappy in comparison to XBMC.
gnif
Novice

Post by gnif »

XBMC is written with the XBOX XDK, it runs on the Microsoft firmware/kernel, NOT linux.

XBMC in compiled form is illegal since it uses the Microsoft XBOX XDK.

XBMC can not be ported to linux since it has so much OS dependent code.

XBMC can not run on a desktop PC since it requres the hardware in the XBOX, and the official microsoft kernel.

I love how XBMC works, but hate the fact that it doesnt run under linux, so I am currently developing my own media center... but that is atleast 6 months away from being usable.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

Like gnif said XBMC is written for the xbox only and would take quite of bit of work to port to linux platform, on the same note, this is a linux forum talk of illegal dashes is frowned apon.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh, funny how things can go full circle...

Basically, XBMC is based upon mplayer... which is already a linux application.

Mplayer->XBMC->Mplayer

So yeah... just use Mplayer under linux! ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo