Change VNC Server Password?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
vb_master
Linux User

Change VNC Server Password?

Post by vb_master »

What file do I edit to restore the VNC server password?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

vb_master
Linux User

Post by vb_master »

Tried like 3 times with different passwords and nothing worked. TightVNC viewer said that it was wrong.

Edit: I fixed it, it was port 5901.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You're doing it wrong if you're running a separate VNC server. You should just run "vncpasswd" as the gentoox user. I'm pretty sure this is in the manual/ FAQ somewhere.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
vb_master
Linux User

Post by vb_master »

ShALLaX wrote:You're doing it wrong if you're running a separate VNC server. You should just run "vncpasswd" as the gentoox user. I'm pretty sure this is in the manual/ FAQ somewhere.
I was using port 0, that's what was wrong.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Port 0 is the correct port to use. If you are running a separate VNC server, you're not doing it right. Gentoox has a VNC server module that runs in Xorg.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
joshua.lyon
Linux User

Post by joshua.lyon »

I think I must be missing something here. I'm using the default VNC server (daemon?) built that came with GentooX Home, but I'm having trouble changing the VNC password.

Here's a cut and paste from the shell. I simply run vncpasswd, enter my password twice, and tell it no I dont want a view only password. However, when I go to login with tightVNC's VNC Viewer, I still have to use the original password of "gentoox" to see anything.

Code: Select all

Xbox ~ # vncpasswd
Using password file /root/.vnc/passwd
Password:
Verify:
Would you like to enter a view-only password (y/n)? n
Does it seem like I'm doing something wrong?
joshua.lyon
Linux User

Post by joshua.lyon »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the first time I ran the command:

vncpasswd
I received a message saying that the passwd file would be generated. Does the VNC server that comes enabled by default with GentooX home not use the standard password file?

I went as far as checking that file to make sure that the passwords were actually updating. I ran the following command before and after the running the above command to make sure the file was changing:

nano /root/.vnc/passwd
Anyone have any input?