Need some clarification

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Need some clarification

Post by FlamingGooch »

Hey everyone. Installed Gentoox, and it all works. I am running magic right now (how long does it take, i've been at it for like 15 mins now). After I run magic, is there anything else that needs to be updated? Also, what is the difference between running magic, emerge --sync, and emerge portage? I am so confused with those things and I was wondering if someone could clear them up. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is going to be like a second thread, but I didnt want to spam the foum so I'm putting it in here. I just ran magic and it failed ='(. The message said that I should copy down the full error or I'll get ignored, but the thing is, the error is like 700 million pages long. So many files failed because of No such file or directory (2) or Input/Output error (5) and this, Input/Output error -- stopping file deletion. That last one happend on each of the 3 retries. I set the date correctly before I ran magic using the code: date MMDDhhmmYYYY. Another thing, the dang text in the terminal window is too small to read, especially when it's in different colors. I tried changing the font size in the setting menu and that didnt work. I'm completely lost here. I need help someone :cry: :cry: :cry:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Magic is a patch system for Gentoox written by me that calls on emerge where necessary.

Emerge sync is used to synchronise you with the Gentoo portage mirror so that the latest software is available to you.

Emerge xxxxx is used to install software.

Run magic over to copy the error.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo