Native install kernel upgrade - initrd issues

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jaysan
Novice

Native install kernel upgrade - initrd issues

Post by jaysan »

Hi,

Using Home V4.0, I performed a "native install" on my F: and subsequently tried to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.

However, upon reboot I get a kernel panic error (sync error) - I realise this has something to do with the initrd. I read throughout the forums that the "initrd" config item in linuxboot.cfg (E:\linuxboot.cfg?) should be set to "no", but this resulted in the above kernel panic.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to rebuild my initrd? If so, whats the best way of doing it for a native install on F:?

Also, I remember there was a 2.6 kernel upgrade script in the magic repository, but his no longer exists anymore. Could this be made available so I can use the steps in it to upgrade my kernel? Thanks.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Also,I have set root=/dev/hda in E:\linuxboot.cfg.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Sorry, the I meant to say that I have set root=/dev/hda2 above
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

As far as I know - gentoox do not support Kernel 2.6 yet - Do you really need it? - I'm quite happy running the new 2.4.32 kernel..

The native tut describes every step (except one step formatting with ext3).

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Yeah, the reason i need it is I have a wireless keyboard which will only run under 2.6.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

My guess is you havent built in the correct drivers. I cant suggest much more than using the kernel .config provided in Home.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Thanks for the help guys..

Basically, the wireless keyboard im using (Globlink 880T) works only under 2.6 and using some C code I found on the internet that uses usb libraries (lib usb)- reason being the keyboard appears to differ outside the usbhid spec. Otherwise, it only works in windows.

I have previously been able to get this to work using a full hard drive install of Xebian under 2.6, but unfortunately xebian doesnt have the native install option on F: that I need. (I want to run linux for websurfing, along side an unamed media centre).

So thats why I'm pining for 2.6 distro :) Or some way to rebuild my initrd without getting sync errors. Nevertheless I will still try the kernel config.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

BTW Shallax, I noticed a while ago you had a kernel26 upgrade script in the magic repositry, but now its gone...any chance I can take a look at it for my own reference? Thanks!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh, its totally gone, sorry. Also.. if youre trying to do a FatX install with Kernel 2.6 - it aint gonna happen. There is no working FatX driver for kernel 2.6.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Hehe oh no! oh well lol, I should have saved it when I had the chance :)

Yeah, I learned long ago that the Fatx driver is no good, hence why im only after native installations.

From what I can remember of that old script, there was some step to rebuild initrd, but I guess that was for the fatx setup.

Oh well, if the kernel config attempt fails - Ill be waiting for your 2.6 kernel native install on F build!

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming theres no way to backport the usbhid, usbmouse and usbkbd drivers available in 2.6 to 2.4?

Thanks again.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

With enough commitment and patience, there probably is a way to backport (I was going to suggest that next).

If you get Home v5.0, a 2.6 kernel should just "Plug in" nicely as there are no modules used anymore (and no need to modify the initrd)
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Ok, I downloaded Home v5.0 (installed using native option on F:) and rebuilt the kernel with the following steps:

cp kernel.config .config
make clean
make bzImage
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /mnt/fatx/E/vmlinuz

and heres my linuxboot.cfg

title Gentoox
kernel vmlinuz
initrd no
append init=/linuxrc installtype=native root=/dev/hda2 kbd-reset video=xbox:800x600,nohwcursor,hoc=13,voc=13
title Sparkle
kernel vmlinuz
initrd sprkrd.gz
append load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=26215 rw root=/dev/ram kbd-reset

I launch the gentoox.xbe and I get FATAL errors in which the modules.dep cannot be found (it repeats over and over!) What am i doing wrong here lol..?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

checkout

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... art1_chap7

They have the following for compiling your kernel

Code Listing 14: Compiling the kernel

(For 2.4 kernel)
# make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install

(For 2.6 kernel)
# make && make modules_install
then copy your bzImage

its been a while since ive dabbled in 2.6, perhaps something to look at
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Nah, you need to switch profiles:

Code: Select all

ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.0 /etc/make.profile/
Then you need to:

Code: Select all

emerge module-init-tools
Hopefully that'll sort you out.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Ok, i tried what orochi suggested (before Shallax's recent post), and as shallax said, that didnt work.

Ive been trying to do the emerge modules-init-tools, however it looks like the source is not valid...do you know where i can get a good source list for emerge, and where I can edit this?

Also, I'm finding that I lose my DNS or something fairly frequently. When I trying to perform 'magic', I have to ping shallax.com before it actually does something. Has anyone had this problem before, or is something wrong with my network settings?... Im just using DHCP as far as I know...do I need to specify my router as a DNS server somewhere in gentoox?

Sorry for all these questions..Im getting there slowly but surely and appreciate all of your help. :)