Native install kernel upgrade - initrd issues

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

If you're using DHCP, then your DHCP server should be specifying the DNS server itself.

There is no "alternative" source list for Portage - it uses the default Gentoo rsync servers. If you want to try switching mirrors, try running "mirrorselect" or check the Gentoo manuals.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

I did the symlink, and the emerge command above, and then copied the new bzImage to mnt/fatx/e/vmlinuz.

The system boots and the window manager starts (xfce i think it is?) However, the system does not get an ip address...from the boot messages it says it is 127.0.0.1. (which is obviously just loopback)

do I need to do a make modules and/or make modules_install as well?

I cant log into the system because of the lack of an IP being assigned, hence no ssh.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Sounds like you did not compile the forcedeth driver.
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Ok I will check my kernel config. However, do you have a good kernel config to use? Ive just been using the one supplied in the 2.6 source (with xbox patch) - obviously not yielding good results.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The one that comes with my kernel should be good enough (might need to run make oldconfig and fill in the blanks, though).