just a quick explaintion please

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
IlkilledKurtCobain

just a quick explaintion please

Post by IlkilledKurtCobain »

I have searched the forums, FAQ, google, etc. But I still have a couple of questions.

1) If I format my E: with UnleashX, will gentoox fit in it? I keep on getting the "please free up at least 4.5 gigs" error.

2) If I do format the drive will I be able to switch it back to my origninal Unleash X dash with just the Gentoox home boot cd?

3) when I tried the avalauch dash, I got an error I didnt recieve when I used unleash. "0 mb or space on F:" Is this a serious error? It doesnt really matter to me, because the gentoox boot cd does not give me the option to install on F:

4) will I still be able to play xbox games with any verison of linux?

and finally
5) does anyone know of a list of supported keyboards and mouses for the xbox?

P.S. I'm not using any kind of modchip or upgraded harddrive, nor do I know what kind of BIOS I have. Maybe the original MS one? idk

THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) Almost certainly.

2) Your dashboard shouldn't be on E:\, it should be on C:... thus formatting E: wont have any impact on your dashboard. If the worst comes to the worst, you can always restore your dashboard (unless you're using a softmod... which could leave you with a screwed Xbox)

3) Nothing to do with these forums. Please do not discuss illegal software here.

4) With Gentoox, always. However, certain installation methods for Xebian will wipe out your ability to play games.

5) All keyboards and all mice (preferably USB, though you can get USB->ps/2 adaptors)

The last sentence you typed is the most important. I do not officially support softmods - if you install Gentoox and it messes up, its on your own head (this is true for all installations... but its more applicable to softmods as if you break your softmod, you wont be able to boot your Xbox until you buy a modchip!)

My advice is to do an E: installation - do NOT do a "Native" installation!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

well yes and no with buying a modchip if your softmod is borked, you atleast need your hdd key to unlock the drive on the pc to access the files but thats a whole other forum all togeather :P