Gentoox Greyed Out In EvoX Menu

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
SuperDavey

Gentoox Greyed Out In EvoX Menu

Post by SuperDavey »

Newbie here! Hence the forum. ;)

I followed the instuctions to install GentooX via FTP - the contents of distro.rar have been uploaded in the root of the e: drive, and I've successfully added it to the EvoX menu. The problem is, in the menu, GentooX is greyed out and won't select.

I think this MIGHT have something to do with the rootfs $gb+ file. I uploaded it, and while DVD2XBOX can see it, and sufficient HDD space is taken up, my FTP client is not showing it in the e: drive. Can anyone help, please? :)

Also, while I'm here, is there any way to increase the partitions on the HDD? I'd ideally like to decrease the f: drive by 2Gb and increase the e: drive by that same 2Gb.
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

as for resizing the partitions you should try xbepartition

1) Evox sucks XBMC should be everyones main dash board... or maybe avalaunch.... or unleashX... but those three should be enough... definately not Evox!

2) can you launch gentooxx.xbe (don't forget the second x) from a file manager? All three above dashboards have one built in.
SuperDavey

Post by SuperDavey »

EvoX is my dashboard of choice, I'm afraid.

I launch the xbe from DVD2XBOX AND from Avalaunch, which is built into EvoX, but it just returns me to the dash.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

its greyed out because the path you inputted is wrong, doublecheck your settings in the evox.ini
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

I agree with orochi - if its greyed out it has to be an invalid path...

But its strange that it won't launch from a file manager...

Is gentooxx.xbe in the root of e? (e:\)
What other gentoox related files are in the same directory - maybe you're missing something?
drumstyx
Linux User

Post by drumstyx »

in my experience....if u put something in the evox.ini with an incorrect path....it doesnt show up on the menu....but i dont like evox much anyway....but i also dont like XBMC :-p....not customizeable enough for me
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

StickyIckyBud wrote:I agree with orochi - if its greyed out it has to be an invalid path...

But its strange that it won't launch from a file manager...

Is gentooxx.xbe in the root of e? (e:\)
What other gentoox related files are in the same directory - maybe you're missing something?
Check the syntax and path for the .xbe you are trying to load (in this case its gentooxx.xbe) Additional missing files (swap rootfs etc) have no bearing on evox, if these files are missing than when gentooxx.xbe is run it will not load gentoox, but gentoox is still executed
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

I always used to rename it to default.xbe and put it in a folder on it's own in the e drive. and edit the ini to reflect this.

bLiGhTy.
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd