How do I upgrade to kernel 2.6?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jaysan
Novice

How do I upgrade to kernel 2.6?

Post by jaysan »

Hi,

I recently just got an xbox (V1.0) and successfully installed gentoox.

I noticed it is running a 2.4 kernel, and really would like to upgrade to 2.6 (I have this wireless keyboard w/trackball I want to use with it, and i think 2.6 is my best chance to get it working)

Has anyone upgraded to 2.6 successfully, and if so, whats the best way to do it? Would really appreciate any help - otherwise, I have a useless wireless keyboard :(

Thanks.
jaysan
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Sorry, I found some related posts on this site after I posted my own.

A bit more information on my setup:

-Loopback (installed on E: - which i take it means non-native)
-Home edition

Looks like there is no definate answer or straightforward approach to upgrading to kernel 2.6 using tools such as magic/emerge?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

using the search function here as well as gentoox.shallax.com would let you know that the fatx driver is buggy and should not be used, if you were to run native, than the standard 2.4 -> 2.6 rules would apply
jaysan
Novice

Post by jaysan »

Hi thanks for your response.

In what sense is the FATX driver buggy? I intend just to use gentoox for web surfing on my TV, so would it impact me that much?

Thanks.
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

For web browsing there should be no need to upgrade.

This is more of an advanced topic and there's already some good stuff in this stickied post if you're intent...

viewtopic.php?t=2791
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.