No Digital audio?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
raid517
Novice

No Digital audio?

Post by raid517 »

Hi, I am really impressed with Gentoox, it is a terrific piece of work. However I installed Gentoox on my xbox, so that I could listen to LastFMplayer on a very quiet system with full digital audio support.

Unfortunately digital audio support seems to be non functioning. This is a major set back - as I don't have any non digital audio equipment - and indeed I haven't listened to analogue sound on any of my home stereo components for over at least the last 7 years.

Is there a way to enable digital audio output in Gentoox on the xbox?

Speaking of LastFM player can anyone actually get it to work too?

http://www.last.fm/downloads.php

I can launch the app, but if I try to play any radio it will crash due to not being able to detect the sound properties of the card properly, or if I select to use it with an external player (as in use it as a streaming proxy server) it will simply spit an error message out on the command line saying 'proxy client disconnected.'

Has anyone got any clue what is going on?

GJ
Last edited by raid517 on Sat May 13, 2006 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

Edit: resolved this issue by installing ALSA OSS Package and selecting OSS sound out in LastFM player - now lastFM player plays natively!

I still would welcome advice on getting digital sound working though....
>Speaking of LastFM player can anyone actually get it to work too?

>http://www.last.fm/downloads.php

>I can launch the app, but if I try to play any radio it will crash due to not >being able to detect the sound properties of the card properly, or if I select >to use it with >an external player (as in use it as a streaming proxy server) it will simply spit an error message out on the command line saying 'proxy client disconnected.'

>Has anyone got any clue what is going on?

GJ
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

I may just have found the answer to my other question too:

viewtopic.php?t=2778&highlight=digital

The problem is that I don't have a file in /etc/called:

Code: Select all

/etc/asound.conf
I do have a similarly named file in:

Code: Select all

/usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsasound.confd
So what gives?

Has anyone got any idea what file I should be editing?

GJ