Man this is taking forever! Getting old fast!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
raid517
Novice

Man this is taking forever! Getting old fast!

Post by raid517 »

Hi I was contemplating doing an 'emerge system' on the Xbox - however after installing sveral basic apps - and this taking nearly 6 hours to complete, I was wondering if there might be another way?

For example, I have another much faster PC - so would it be possible somehow to quickly and easily pass off some (or all) of the compiling jobs to my faster PC?

Unfortunately the faster PC only runs Debian (unstable) and not Gentoo - and I don't want to install Gentoo on my main machine. But perhaps there is a way i can do it using my ethernet cable and my router?

I think I would go mad if I had to wait several weeks for an emerge sytem to work on Gentoox home on the xbox.

Surely there really does have to be a better way?

GJ
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

these questions have already been answered, please use the search function.

you can use distcc but some apps crash and burn if compiled with this

pref option

pull the hdd

boot to an existing linux environment, current linux install or hell even knoppix would do, mount your rootfs as loopback (if you did that install) chroot and compile away with your faster pc

you can also use emerge to make packages (and not install them) on another pc, copy them over, and emerge them into place

I recently reinstalled gentoox pro on one of my xboxes after a few months of using a cobalt raq2. It took maybe 30-40hrs to do an emerge -u world (honestly i dont know im prolly over estimating heavily) just do an emerge, go to bed, wake up if its done good, if not go to work and check later.

No one said compiling (on any system) is fast.

Happy Gentooing
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

Well I already thought of mounting the lopback file system and chrooting. But I wasn't sure if it was possible.

Anyway i found out how to use distcc on my own - so i am not just the irritating n00b you seem to think I am. I am newish to Gentoox - but not to Gentoo which I have used for 3 years (prior to using Debian - which I have now used for the last two years).

However I don't pretend to be a l33t hacker, just a user and I only have a limited amount of time to spend learning - which is why I was looking for some friendly advice.

You really ought to chill out a little man. If it had been dealt with elsewhere, a simple link wouldn't have killed you.

GJ
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

The process you're thinking of is exactly how you do it

Howto speed-compiling in every version of GentooX & MCE
viewtopic.php?t=2848

And orochi really is a nice guy, maybe just a bad day?
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.