Can't see a darn thing

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Serendes

Can't see a darn thing

Post by Serendes »

i have installed gentoox a few hours ago on my xbox and i have a huge problem: after its done loading and everything, its fine for about 5 seconds, then it goes whack and screen becomes blurry and distorted and i can't see anything! I went to the FAQs section and i checked if i was using composite cables (i assume they're the ones that came with the xbox) and i am. But i couldn't run the command it suggests that i do because i can't see a darn thing on my screen! I have gone through 3 sets of cables and 2 TVs to see if the cables or the TVs were the problem, but obviously not. I don't think i did anything wrong in the installation, of course i wouldn't know if i did since i'm a real newbie at this. Can anyone help me out with this problem? i really want to use this OS for my xbox.
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Post by sevenlayercookie »

Using a regular TV makes it very blurry. Look up X2VGA, and use a computer monitor.
To test what it looks like, hook up your xbox to a router, and use WinVNC to connect to your xbox.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

component always looked bad for me, composite is the only one that I can get to work without much effort
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

If you have no composite cables to plug in. Connect to your xbox through ssh.

You need your xbox's IP address and the Xbox must be on and loaded into Gentoox.

You can SSH from another linux PC or from Windows (for windows I suggest Putty)

Then login as root and run xbvset and follow the prompts from there.
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.