can i access directly to internet using an ethernet modem?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
moontaxi

can i access directly to internet using an ethernet modem?

Post by moontaxi »

i installed gentoox to my xbox via ftp install, it works great. can i access directly to internet using an ethernet modem? i'm planning to buy an ethernet modem, but i'm not going to set up a home network, or share the network connection with my pc. (i sold it). i searched through the forum but all the articles are about sharing a connection with a pc etc.

i want to plug ethernet cable's one side to my xbox, and its other side to an ethernet modem. (simple newbie explanation) will it work?

do i have to buy a router?, also is the number of ports of the modem important? would you prefer which modem(brand,model)?

thanks ;)
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Post by sevenlayercookie »

Yes, that's the setup that i use :D . Mine is DSL, but no diff. I'm using Westell 2100, but any should work.

Good luck!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

yes it will work just fine, typically youll just use DHCP unless you have some specific reason to run a static ip, if you wanted to, get a USB NIC and make your xbox a router :D
moontaxi

modem query

Post by moontaxi »

gentoox can't recognise my ethernet modem. modem query fails. which port i have to choose? thanks.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

How are you connecting your modem? via USB? or using the Ethernet port
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Re: modem query

moontaxi wrote:gentoox can't recognise my ethernet modem. modem query fails. which port i have to choose? thanks.
moontaxi

Post by moontaxi »

i use ethernet port. kppp can't recognise my ethernet modem and adress of modem setup (192.168.2.1 as written in modem's manual) cannot be found by konqueroro or mozilla firefox
sevenlayercookie
Novice

DCHP or static? If its static, use a computer connected to the modem, go to internet explorer and type 192.168.2.1. Look around and try to find DHCP server and enable it.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Re: modem query

Post by orochi »

sevenlayercookie wrote:
moontaxi wrote:gentoox can't recognise my ethernet modem. modem query fails. which port i have to choose? thanks.

seven I realize that was said, but not everyone calls things the same, i was trying to fish out more info to help