cant connect to the internet with firefox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.

cant connect to the internet with firefox

Post by 122275 »

I just loaded home 4.0 (this is my first experience with linux)
I can use samaba to watch movies from another computer on my network and I can use all the other functions as well but firefox wont connect to the internet is there a setting I need to set or what
I loaded gentoox to my e drive and suggestions will be great.

thanks and loving Gentoox
Last edited by 122275 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 122275 »

Nevermind I reloaded gentoox and all seems great Thanks for the great OS

Post by 122275 »

Ok I seem to be answering my own question so lets try this again.
Last night I had everthing going good I updated magic last night and it took about an hour and a half after that the firefox would not work again so I tried rebooting several times to no avail.

also I was trying to get the screen to fit my tv I had it on composite then I switched to hdtv 480p all was good. Well I was looking around linux and I think it was the display button I pressed and it asked for the sixe 640x480 ect... well when I changed it to the one below the original it wont let me see the desktop when I reset it it loads to the login screen and lets me login but after I login I get a white screen of death ( I guess) with a black gap on the right. I tried sparkle and I still cant see nothing but white. Can I reset or change the setting and if it is in the cfg what do I put in it.

thanks for any help

Post by 122275 »

ok I fixed it by ssh into it and xbvset

but now I cant get the hdtv to work maybe playing around a little will help me figure it out.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Uhh, video settings maybe? Idk

BUT

We need to get you a blog :D
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

You most likely need to reinstall. NEVER change the video settings inside the GUI (I know it sucks doesn't it?)

From the FAQ:
? I changed the resolution in KDE and now it wont load up again -- have I broken it?
Most probably. Try running "xbvset" as root.
http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... ral+FAQ#22
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.