Emerge takes a long time?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
ColSonders

Emerge takes a long time?

Post by ColSonders »

I'm fairly new to the whole Linux thing, but i've been following guides on these forums for getting my xbox up and running how I want it, and using emerge to install things like samba/webmin, php, apache, mysql, mysqladmin.

Am I correct in assuming emerge is gentoo's equivalent to debian's apt-get install?

So far it's taken me probably more than 20 hours to get GentooX up and running and i'm still not finished whereas I can do a full Debian install with all those relevant bits that I need in under 2 hours.

Am I missing something that should be really obvious or is GentooX just really slow at installing packages?
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

Most other distros use precompiled apps - which means they install MUCH faster.. On the xbox this means a LOT - as the gentoo source has to be compiled (needs lots of CPU).. so yes.. It is slow.. but this also means Gentoo is easy to customize and optimize.. So IMHO it's by far the best distro for computers with a small amount of ram and slow CPU..

It's not unusual to start emerging in the evening - and check in the next morning to see if the app has been installed.. :wink:

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu